Kathy King - Jewelry Gallery

Kathy King Jewelry
Cary, NC/ USA

I create unique wearable sculpture by weaving together colorful glass beads using an original technique I developed called bead quilling. Bead quilling enables me to create striking architectural shapes that are sturdy yet light-weight. I combine my bead quilling designs with my beaded beads, where I weave small beads together to form larger, more intricate beads. Inspiration for my designs comes from geometric and architectural patterns seen throughout history. I then allow the beads themselves to help form the final designs, playing with the colors and shapes of the individual beads chosen.

Materials: glass beads, thread, gold headpins Dimensions: 27 inches long

Approximately 3,500 glass beads are woven together to create the 26 beaded beads that make up the connected necklace and bracelet set; the pieces have matching brass closures

Photo credit: Jason Dowdle

Morning Glen Necklace

Materials: glass beads, thread, gold filled clasp,crystals
Dimensions: 1 inch width, 17 inch length

Approximately 6,500 glass beads are woven together to create layered beaded beads. Crystals and gold filled beads are added between the beaded beads to complete the necklace.

Photo credit: Larry Sanders

Starbursts Necklace

Materials: glass beads, thread, sterling silver clasp
Dimensions: 1/4 inch thick, 17 inches long

Approximately 3,000 glass beads are woven together to create the individual starburst and round shapes, they are then connected to create the final necklace.

Photo credit: Larry Sanders