To all Orchid members:
If you are interested in becoming a member of a diverse team of
professionals to instruct Jewelry Manufacturing Arts on the campus
of The Gemological Institute of America in Carlsbad, CA. please read
the job below:
Job Title: Instructor, On-Campus Jewelry Manufacturing Arts (JMA)
City: Carlsbad, CA
Reports To: Manager, Jewelry Manufacturing Arts
To create a positive, constructive, and creative learning
environment in which to deliver the On-Campus Jewelry Manufacturing
Arts Program utilizing a variety of jewelry manufacturing and repair
equipment including, but not limited to, torches, files, saws,
rolling mills, polishing equipment, machine and hand tools and
audio-visual aids, and other materials to supplement presentations.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); Jewelry
Manufacturing Arts (JMA), Graduate Jeweler (GJ) or Graduate Jeweler
Gemologist (GJG) diploma preferred.
- A minimum of three years related practical jewelry industry
experience is required.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A. or B. S.) from four-year college or
university and five years related practical jewelry industry
experience is preferred.
- Ability to meet the requirements to obtain and maintain the
Certificate of Authorization for Service as Instructor in Metal and
- In-depth knowledge of jewelry manufacturing and repair techniques
and equipment, and understanding of the jewelry industry.
- Ability to demonstrate a command of theory and contemporary
knowledge, and continuing study in field.
- Ability to effectively present course material and provide answers
and feedback to students.
- Ability to effectively interface with staff and students.
- Strong communication skills.
- Imparts appropriate and relevant course material consistent with
GIA's reputation, standards, and integrity.
- Addresses student concerns, complaints, or issues promptly, and
effectively interfaces with Dean of Students, On-Campus JMA Manager
and/or other appropriate Education Staff as needed for further
- Counsels students regarding academic performance and methods for
- Maintains and fosters sensitivity and respect for a culturally
diverse classroom environment.
- Participates in Education meetings and training, as needed,
concerning courses material instruction, student concerns,
operational and administrative procedures, etc.
- Proctors tests; and receives, corrects, and processes student
- Submits final student grades to Student Services according to
- May develop Instruction Guide and assemble educational trade
material for student instruction.
- May travel occasionally to national and/or international locations
for instructional or Institute representation purposes.
- Communicates effectively, gets along with co-workers and
management, and deals with others effectively and professionally
If you are interested in this position, please attach your resume to
an email and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org and @Russ_Hyder.
Russell B. Hyder
Jewelry Manufacturing Arts
Gemological Institute of America (GIA)
The Robert Mouawad Campus
5345 Armada Drive
Carlsbad, California 92008
Tel: 760-603-4000 Ext. 7794