Jewelry Weigh Scale recommendations

I have a scale that’s useful for weighing probably 1/2 a gram upwards, but am thinking about getting something more accurate for smaller amounts, as I am using small gold accents more and more. I couldn’t find any recent discussions about this. Rio has many, some very expensive - I don’t think I would want to spend more than $200, preferably less. Any recommendations? Thanks, Sue

I would be interested also in the same thing… I have a counter weighted Hamilton balance with a zero point adjustment for 0 to 100 grams… as it’s a counter weight and not a spring, I think it’s fairly accurate. I bought it a long time ago and I think that it was quite cheap but I can’t remember how much I paid… I believe that I acquired it from a local jewelry supply store…I can’t find it under Hamilton balances, which makes scientific instruments…high precision scales are extremely expensive. Both Hamilton and Mettler balances cost upward of $1,200 and are extremely sensitive and delicate… they are used in quantitative chemistry labs. The measure a range of weights from fractions of a milligram up to several hundred grams all with the same precision… but they aren’t practical for home use nor even lab use, unless for weighing point diamonds or other small precious stones in a commercial operation due to cost… if anyone knows about a cheaper alternative, I’d like to know also… thanks!

1 Like

Thanks. I have a pretty standard one that didn’t cost much. It doesn’t like to weigh under half a gram, though it will do it if I’ve already put a gram or two on there to wake it up, so to speak, so that will have to do for now.

1 Like

my balance weighs only grams, not fractional grams…If anyone out there knows a scale that is accurate down to fractions of a gram, please let us know… I am not aware of anything cheap that does that…scientific instruments that are that sensitive, accurate and precise, usually cost a couple of thousand dollars… I’m writing this out of curiosity, more than anticipated use… If I recall properly, accuracy means how close to the true value a measure comes, while precision means how reproducible each measurement is… the analogy to hitting a target with an arrow or bullet means that accuracy can have a wide scatter about the bullseye, but on average converges on the bullseye… which is the actual value of what is being measured, while precision means that the hits are very tightly grouped together but off the bullseye, in one consistent direction or another.

There are plenty of affordable electronic scales out there. GemOro® Superior Instruments Platinum XP500 Scale costs about $30.00 It weighs ounces, grams, penny weights, and carats.

1 Like

Jo is right. You should be able to find a good electronic scale for a lot less than $200. Remember when digital watches came out? They were and are very inexpensive and usually more reliable than the very expensive mechanical watches that they replace. Actually, it seems that digital watches have been replaced by phones. I still like mechanical watches. My scale is a promotional model that I paid very little for. It covers grams, ounces (A), penny weights and ounces (T) out one decimal. I compare its accuracy to my triple beam balance from time to time and it is very accurate. Good luck…Rob

1 Like

The one I have will do for now. It does measure down to tenths of a gram. But if I want to weigh something that’s, say, 0.5, I have to put a gram or two on first. If I just put the .5 on, nothing happens. I think it cost me about $40. There’s no brand name on it.

A while ago I bought a small scale that measure up to 300 grams and is claimed to be accurate to 0.01 grams. It measures troy ounces, grains, carats, Dwt and a few other modes to 2 decimal places.

It is available on Amazon for $29.99

Mine has several quirks. The exterior is rubberized, which felt o.k. when new. It now feels sticky and unpleasant. The other, which may be a defect of mine, or a bug, or a ‘feature’ (don’t ask me how) is that if you leave a light item on it for over 10 seconds the weight reading keeps increasing. If you place a heavier item on it, the weight reading gradually decreases. However, the same item placed on the scale over and over gets the same reading each time, so it is consistent.

It comes with a 200 gram calibration weight.

It also comes with a tiny booklet of directions which I did not get into. You need an Optivisor, and preferably a strong one, to read it. It may or may not explain the shifting weight readout. But again, repeated weighing of the same item is consistent, and the readout I get for the 200 gram calibration weight is consistently 200.05 grams.

Neil A