Jewelry making and aging

Hi Judith,
I don’t know of any metalsmith groups per se in Knoxville, except for something like the Foothills Craft Guild, if you want to exhibit at their juried shows. I think I have a Smith Little Torch here I am not using if this would help you out. This is a great area for flea markets to look for various tools, but it can take a long while to accumulate what you need. Make sure you meet Steve Darnell, who sells jewlery tools and supplies and does commercial casting. He’s in East Knoxville. He may have some used machinery you would want. -royjohn

1 Like

I’ve found that going to classes in jewellery making and design has been a real help. No one can work in isolation. As well as learning new techniques I’ve met lots of nice people with whom i have lots in common. Good luck with your future efforts,

3 Likes

I highly recommend a local gem and mineral club. Many of them offer other skills including silversmithing. Here’s a start: About | Knoxville Gem and Mineral Society

1 Like

not appropriate

Hey Yuri,
It’s not an age thing​:blush:we all get blocked from time to time depending on our circumstances. With Lockdown and everything that’s going on if you listen to the media the world right now is depressing. I think that eventually you’ll get your mojo back… Creativity comes in many ways, I find myself gardening, making things for the garden using other media such as wood and lately even vine… Cheer up age isn’t a bad thing it frees up time for you to get to do things you didn’t have time for when you worked… You may not do much in the workshop but I’m sure you’ll find something interesting that will fire your motivation. Good luck :wink: …Age is a number it doesn’t define who you are​:smile:

1 Like

I am 68. I started silversmithing in 2005 when I took 6 weeks of lessons in Mexico and I was hooked. I returned to Mexico every winter after 2009 and studied with 2 different teachers who taught me so much. Over the years I built up my studio at home but was never inspired to do the things I could do when I was in Mexico. I’m worried about my eyes and joke that my jewelry making days are numbered because at some point I won’t be able to see well enough. It makes me sad because I get so much pleasure learning new techniques and making things I like to wear. I have a daughter but she prefers gold(!) so I don’t make things for her now. I don’t sell either because in all these years trying I never found my market. I plan to build my own web page this year, so who knows! Maybe by 70 I’ll find some local fame and fortune. I love working with silver and stones.

2 Likes

I’m 63 and been making jewlery all of my life, full time for a living for 16 years now and can’t imagine not making jewelry every single day. I hope you get your desire back. I never run out of ideas or designs or desire to work so I’m sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully it’s just a sign of the times.

I’m 60 and have been an artist for most of my life, much of that in jewelry/metalsmithing/sculpture. What I have found, as I have grown older and my faith has deepened is that it’s no longer about me. It used to be about me finding personal expression and giving voice to what I wanted to say. It was for myself. That shifted as I approached 50. I began to find I had less and less to say about me and more I wanted to express about my faith in God, Creation and what that all means. So my creativity went on hiatus for awhile as I sort of reoriented my sights.

Have confidence that it will come back and something will spark interest and excitement again. We all go through fallow periods. The fields have to rest sometimes between plantings.

2 Likes

Hi Ruthanne,

Thank you very much for your very inspiring words!

I wish you all the best for the future!

Y

what about using metal clay

Julia Cameron has a newish book out calledIt’s Never Too Late to Begin Again that might be something you would enjoy. I didn’t discover jewellry-making until after I retired and took a night course and now I’m in up to my ears … and I’ve got frozen shoulder already so I’m working in metal clay now and exploring enamelling as they are a little more forgiving. I get so excited when I look through FB groups at what others are making and asking for help with and through books. I hope this helps.

3 Likes

No excuses. I am 80 years old and have had the Artificial Lens put in. I can see like I am 8 years old. I use a pair of #3 glasses when I’m working and need a close up. The operation is nothing. I was reading a book several hours after he did each eye, which he does separately. Now get busy and get your eyes fixed and do your art.

4 Likes

Artificial lenses are great, but they don’t fix all vision problems, eg, macular degeneration.

Each person fills their own skin to its fullest with their own genius, at their own pace. In a million years or two, we’ll all be beautiful rocks, eh? Igneous, metamorphic…Then we can inspire other lapidaries and smiths.

Lorraine

5 Likes

I know exactly what you are talking about. I am your age and have struggled with chronic illness my whole life so jewelry making is tough. Over the last few years I have evaluated the return I get from shows compared to the toll they take physically. So I got down to just 3 or 4 shows a year. I started doing trunk shows and pop-up shops for a few weeks at a time which are much easier to do and better returns. Everything is cancelled now due to the virus so I am trying to sell on social media and occasionally I put up a tent on my lawn and run a show. The secret is advertising. I use all the free listings as possible and put the word out in my community. I find most of my sales are from locals so I focus on that.
It sounds like you are losing your motivation. If you aren’t up to re-jigging your business, take a break and think about it. If you miss it then you will come up with ideas. If you don’t then you know that it may be time to sell your equipment and find something new to do.
All the best.

3 Likes

I have a written notebook listing my “stuff” and what to do with it if something happens to me. So my stones are identified and priced for example. Basically all they need to do is let my jewelry friends take what they want and then send the rest to a local lapidary club to be auctioned off. With the virus and my health I am very conscious of leaving my kids a big mess to deal with so I am doing what I can to make it easy for them. Like having a good will, it is important to leave our kids instructions because they shouldn’t have to deal with all that when they are grieving.

3 Likes

Hi!

Thank you very much for your answer. That helps me a lot!! I will do the same. Hadn’t thought about it.

I wish you all the best and lots of health!!!

Y

Thank you very much for your email. I still have ideas and would like to do things but I just don’t have the motivation to start anything. I just leave it to tomorrow…I ave been fighting a severe bout of depression and that doesn’t help. I have been on medication but nothing changes.

Tank you very much for your words and advice!

all the best

Y

1 Like

Just curious…who did you study with in Mexico? I studied with Enrique Lopez and Billy King in San Miguel de Allende…

2 Likes

I am 66 years old. I’ve been silversmithing for 40 years. Initially as a hobby, then as a part time craft and when I retired 6 years ago, I became a full time jeweler and instructor. I love silversmithing and continue to learn all I can about the craft. I’ve found teaching silversmithing to younger folks can keep your motivation in full gear and your head full of ideas. If your family can’t use your gifts, why not donate to those who would love a piece of handcrafted jewelry? Or act as a mentor? Investigate a new technique by taking a class from a jeweler you admire? I hope you find your mojo and creative juices!

3 Likes

I am sorry you feel so down. I am almost 70 and getting ready to retire. I am looking forward to being able to spend much more time learning and making. I have loved my career teaching at the University of California, but I have found that it is my creative outlets that have kept me sane through all the daily, recurring hassles. I am single with no children but make jewelry both for myself and for my friends. I’m hoping to start selling more once I retire and can devote time to my craft.Maybe you could take a break, then see how you feel. A break may make you feel more inspired, or it may let you know you truly are no longer interested in this. Perhaps you could take a course in a different area – pottery, painting, etc. You might find another area stimulates your mind better than jewelry making does at this point. Good luck! I hope you find your passion and creativity again.

2 Likes