Jewelry making and aging

WOW!!! I am sooo impressed with you all!!! You all are making me change my mind and go back to the studio for the first time in ages!!!

I wish you all lots and lots of inspiration and health! You are such a terrific uplifting crowd!!!

Lots of love to all of you!!!
Y

Iā€™m just a very ā€œyoung-at-heart, Diamond Setterā€œ at 77!
I still have the stamina & fortitude to create interesting ā€œPieces of Wearable Art.ā€

When I ā€œBright-Cutā€, I find that this is my passion, my inner-love, to emphasize what these simple three tools can create.

I never use any microscope in my setting. I never indulge in any ā€˜shortcutsā€™ while setting my diamonds, or gemstones!

Here are a few pieces of my ā€œBright-Cuttingā€! I now say that if my work is not 99% perfect, then Iā€™m not worthy to be called a Diamond Setter!
Here are a few of my photographs just on a ā€œPair of Diceā€ that Iā€™m creating. All I use are two Flat Gravers, #40 & #41, thatā€™s it! Plus a ā€œKnife-Edgeā€ Onglette graver #0, used to form the little, wire-securing beads to hold the stone.

BTW, there 4-5 wire-beads on each of the stones in these photoā€™s. Can you see them?..:wink:

Remember, that these stones were just Bright-Cut only a week after my 77th birthday!..May 24th, 1943!

Age has totally nothing in what you are capable of doing. In fact, Iā€™m preparing my SECOND ā€œGuinness World Recordā€. (Sorry I canā€™t divulge any other detailsā€¦;>)

image9.jpeg

image14.jpeg

Please realize that on my iPhone, pictures are somewhat distorted through ā€˜extreme magnificationā€™.

fondest regards to everyone!

Gerry, on my iPhone

8 Likes

WOW!!! What a great job!!!Superb work!!!
You know, one thing tat I never learned is how to set diamonds. I can do flush setting but I am not very confident doing it,
Maybe now is the time to learn!
Thank you very much for your words and tips! Best of luck for the future!
Y

1 Like

Iā€™m 79 5/6, started silver work after retirement, and love it. All my past creative areas applyā€“sewing, woodworking, and dollhouse miniatures included, and the silver work meant learning to draw as well. Now drawing is just as much fun as the silver and lapidary! Learning is a lifelong activity well worth the effort.

7 Likes

Yuri, 62 is only a number and you are NEVER EVER too old to learn nor be creative. Who dare give you that misinformation? One week from today, I turn 78 young. Iā€™m blessed that Iā€™ve exceeded the average age for a woman. One year ago, I left my native San Diego, my entire family and closest friends to retire to the unknown in beautiful TN. I closed my small studio which was my greatest joy & my small successful business. I thought my life had ended so I can relate to where you are today. I had two choices. Did I want to turn right or left? It was my decision. So, I looked for some of my old books, magazines which started to get those old creative juices flowly again. I promise youā€™ll find someone special to give your treasues to when you least expect it. Try it. youā€™ll like it. Good luck. Yuri.

5 Likes

Hi Judyh
My mother has macular degeneration also. I would love to find something for her to do. She used to paint and sew but has given everything away. Iā€™m going to suggest she try colored pencils? Maybe get her doing something creative.
Just wanted to say thank you for giving me an idea for her. She has lots of friends but needs something to do when sheā€™s home.
Thanks again, bless you
V

1 Like

hi, my mother had macular degeneration so, I have an idea about your feelings. I have heard that there are new treatments for it these days. Have you looked at new research?
I really hope you find something that can make your mom feel better.

big hugs
Y

Thank you very much for your words. You really cheered me up immensely!!!

I wish you lots of success and happiness!!!

big hugs
Y

Hi Yuri! Iā€™m 65 and a relative newcomer to jewelry making! I love learning new thingsā€¦keeps the mind sharp! There are so many facets to jewelry making (no pun lol) perhaps learning a new skill will add a spark (wax carving, casting, engraving, etc.) My suggestion to you - find yourself some new, fun, like-minded friends! Thereā€™s nothing better than a good jewelry discussion over a couple drinks!
Cheers!!
Melissa

2 Likes

Iā€™m 58 now and left my studio on hold for 7 years, while fighting with hep C and liver cancer. I didnā€™t have any motivation to go on, but my husband kept saying that I should take the time to buy metal and tools. Now Iā€™m ok, cured and looking forward to spend my precious time doing something that I like. If it doesnā€™t sell, itā€™s ok; I can melt the metal and start over. Thats the magical of working with metal!
Youā€™re not old, girl, you are just around the corner of your life! Enjoy!

4 Likes

Hi Judith,
I migrated to TN in 1968 at the age of 21 and have been here in the Knoxville area ever since. The politics are infuriating to me, but the people are wonderful and the environment very beautiful. Out of curiosity, where in TN did you end up? -royjohn

1 Like

Hi Melissa
Nothing better in a drink while setting stones is a good strong cuppa hot TEA!

Anything in the alcoholic-department is not good. As ā€œCmdr. Jean-Luc Piccardā€œ

says to his food-monitorā€¦ā€Earl Grey, HOT!ā€
BTW, that was his pass-word as well.

Gerry, on my iPhone

3 Likes

Isnā€™t it wonderful to have a community where we can all support each other on so many different levels!
Ganoksin has been my ā€œgo toā€ place for two decades and I am the professional I am today because of people like you. Yuri, you can go to places you never dreamedā€¦

3 Likes

thank you very much Rosy! well, at 58you are just a youngsterEmoji!!!

I wish you lots of health and inspiration!

Y

1 Like

Dear yurt, no, you are never to old to be creative. I was a psychotherapist and retrained as a jeweller when I was 61. I retired as a therapist in 2018 and I am trying to sell my workā€¦not very successfully! But I wouldnā€™t change anything because I love what Iā€™m doing. It would be lovely to see some of us older peopleā€™s work!

2 Likes

Oh, RoyJohn, how wonderful! A fellow metalsmith!! Ironically, my husband and I moved to beautiful Morristown, only an hour away, to an area where the political views are more in line with our own. They donā€™t burn the American Flag on the streets of this charming little historic Christian town. My husband is no longer concerned about someone coming to get his guns and we no longer have to support the Mexicans who have illegally crossed our open borders by the thousands. We were forced to leave because we couldnā€™t afford to live in my native San Diego. Democratic Governor Newsome raised the taxes so high on the home we owned for 30 years plus everything else he could possibly tax, especially gas. It was $5 per gal. when we left. Why? To pay for the illegals: housing, schooling, medical and food stamps. And no identification required in CA for illegals to vote. Guess who theyā€™ll be voting for this November. Iā€™m a native San Diegan and my heart is broken to see what has happened to my beautiful city. Because of the political corruption, I had to leave my loving family, close friends and everything that was my world. Weā€™ve been here just a little over a year and Iā€™m just now picking up the pieces. The people are wonderful and I feel as though Iā€™m living in Godā€™s National Park. Breathtakingly beautiful & I truly feel blessed. Iā€™ve already sketched out a floor plan for my metalsmithing studio in our garage. Because I thot my life was over and like a fool, I sold all my tanks, rolling mill, corrugator, etc. etc. At least I kept my FlexShaft. By the way, I have Ferric Cloride in my garage as we speakā€¦

5 Likes

Why are we having political discussions on this site. Where is the jewelry connection?

Mea culpa, I made a slight political reference, as an asideā€¦Judith, contact me at rkersey@tds.net, I have a possible ā€œdonationā€ to your developing studio despite the fact that weā€™re probably on different places on the political spectrumā€¦LOLā€¦-royjohn

2 Likes

I totally agree, keep politics out of here!
As a Canadian, Diamond Setter I hear enough of this ā€¦(****) and it doesnā€™t belong on Ganoksin!

Please be kind to other non-Americans.;(
Gerry, on my ā€œpolitically-freeā€ iPhone!

3 Likes

Hi Roy! Delighted to hear from another metalsmith! We moved to the beautiful town of Morristown, only an hour away from you. You are so correct about the people being wonderful and the beautiful environment. Not sure why the politics are infuriating to you. We left my native San Diego, CA because of them. Currently working on a floor plan for my new metalsmithing studio in our garage. Any suggestions? Sadly, I sold my tanks and large machines before leaving. Do you belong to any metalsmithing groups in Knoxville? P.S. Currently have a container of ferric cloride in my garage.