Jeweller's Reference Library

I think that a Reference Library is probably the second or maybe the third most important thing in a Jeweller’s Studio, next to their Tools & Equipment and maybe Metals, Findings & Gemstones. While I agree that the Internet has opened up a great deal of Information to Jewellers on a myriad of topics (I use this Resource all the time), there are still some things that only a Book in your personal Reference Library can help you with, if nothing else the Inspiration that lies within is priceless!

I have been a Book Collector for most of my life and have a fairly diverse Library of over (5,500) Books and countless Sets of Magazines & Journals, with the vast majority of them being on the various Arts, Crafts and other Mechanical Technologies that I’m interested in. Of these Books, a little over (300) of them are specifically on Jewellery Techniques, the History of Jewellery, Individual Jewellers or Jewellery Companies, Antique/Vintage Jewellery & Metalworking Books and Metalworking in general (Copper, Pewter & Iron/Steel) and then another (200+) Books on Gems & Minerals. So, I am rarely without a Book that cannot answer a question about a specific Technique or provide me with some sort of Guidance or Inspiration!

I had mentioned in another Topic that I had recently added another (30-40+) Jewellery-related Books to my Reference Library and Dana had asked if she could see some of the titles and which ones are my favourites. So, I decided that the easiest way to do this is to take photos of the Books on their shelves and post them as they sit and then as I have the time, to show individual Books that I think would be the most interesting to my fellow Jewellers! I will also be happy to show any Books that anyone asks me about, as well as give the titles of the Books that don’t have their titles showing on their spines…

Most of my Books are in Alphabetical Order by Author (or by specific Jeweller/Company in my Monograph Books), though in my Technical Books, if the Book is primarily on a Specific Topic (ie: Design, Chasing/Repousse, Metalforming, Silversmithing, Enameling, Patination, Resin, Steel Wire, Blacksmithing, Pewter Work and the various Clays), then those Books will be grouped together and then in Order by Author, all the Books that cover everything in general, will be together in Order by Author…

First, my Books on Techniques:

4 Likes

General Jewellery Books:

4 Likes

Individual Jewellers & Jewellery Company Monographs:

4 Likes

Arts & Crafts Movement Jewellery, Jewellers, Metalwork & Metalsmiths:
The Arts & Crafts Movement and Art Nouveau are my personal Areas of Interest and the majority of what I Collect (pretty much Anything from the Period), I love the Ideals of True Craftsmanship on Display of the Arts & Crafts Movement and the Nature-Inspired Forms and Artistry of Art Nouveau. I have a lot of Books on these two Periods of Art and this is just my Section on Arts & Crafts Jewellery & Metalwork!

3 Likes

Antique & Vintage Jewellery & Metalwork:

6 Likes

What an impressive collection of jewelry/metalsmithing books! 5500 - That’s amazing. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Have you given any thought to passing them on someday? There’s a school or library out there somewhere that would be transformed by such a diverse and comprehensive collection.

Jeff

1 Like

Jeff,
Thank you so much! Well, the (5,500) number is for all of the Books in my Library, my Jewellery and Metalsmithing Books are a little over (300) and another (200+) Jewellery-related Magazines and around (200) Books on Gemstones and Minerals… But yes, I have thought about doing that when the time comes, but I’m not sure which School would be the best recipient of my Book. I was an Apprentice for a few years and never went to a School for any Formal Training, well other than Stuller’s Laser School, probably (10) years ago. Do you have any suggestions?

I actually donated close to (600) volumes of Books, Journals, various Burns Club Publications, Ephemera, an 18th century oil on canvas Portrait and other Objects by and about Robert Burns (Scottish 18th century Poet) to the G. Ross Roy Collection of Robert Burns & Burnsiana at the University of South Carolina, Columbia around (15) years ago - I was an avid collector of Burnsiana… :wink: So, I am aware of the good such donations do for Academia and Researchers and encourage anyone with a sizable or an in-depth Library Collection to donate their’s to a worthy Library in their Will or when they are no longer using it. You would be surprised to learn just how important such donations are to Library Collections, most especially Research Libraries and it feels good knowing that the Collection you built will be kept together and used by future Researchers and Students.

Thank You once again Jeff, for the kind words and suggestion!
Jonathan

2 Likes

Omg as a book lover, those are amazing!

1 Like

First off, I apologize for the length of this post, as there are a lot of books and photos in it, but since there has been some interest in these earlier Books, I wanted to share the Covers and Title Pages or an Illustration or two from each of them. As you will see here shortly, I am a confirmed lover of the Arts & Crafts Movement and the Art Nouveau, so many of the following books lean in those directions. There are also a few of these books that have either very little or nothing to do with Jewellery Work, but if you look beyond what they are about and take the Designs and Techniques as they are, you will see that they can be easily adapted to Jewellery Work, which is why I have them. :slight_smile: Lastly, several of the books are available for purchase as Downloads through Ganoksin, some of them I’ve noted, but I would image that there are a few others as well… Now to the books:

THE PRIVATE BOOK OF USEFUL ALLOYS & MEMORANDA FOR GOLDSMITHS, JEWELLERS, &C. by James E. Collins - 1871 - Mostly a listing of various Alloys for Gold and Silver, some are really unusual! (this book was actually Mixed in with my Technical Books)

ARTS-CRAFTS LAMPS by John D. Adams - 1911 - This book covers both Wood and Metal Arts & Crafts Lamps.

LAMPS AND SHADES IN METAL AND ART GLASS by John D. Adams - 1911 - This Book has some incredible Designs for Pierced Metal Arts & Crafts Lamp Shades and Metalwork Lamps.

METAL WORK AND ETCHING by John D. Adams - 1911 - This is mostly an Idea book with lots of examples of Arts & Crafts Acid-Etched Metalwork & Jewellery and a few Line Drawn Plans for making them, almost no Technical information.

METAL WORK: A PRACTICAL HANDBOOK FOR THE AMATEUR WORKER IN IRON, BRASS, ZINC, COPPER, ETC. by George Day - 1906 - The Designs in the book are really interesting, even though they are intended for larger items than Jewellery, they could be adapted to it.

WILLIAM DIXON TOOLS CATALOG - Newark, New Jersey - 1926 - This catalogue is a wonderful look at late 19th and early 20th century Tools, including Jeweller’s Tools. I love Dixon Hammers and Stakes and have quite a few of them, but they also made just about every other Jeweller’s Tool that you can think of and I’ve shown a few pages as an example - I wish that I could find one of their Rolling Mills! :wink:

ART OF COPPERSMITHING: A PRACTICAL TREATISE ON WORKING SHEET COPPER INTO ALL FORMS by John Fuller - 1911 - This book is mostly on Holloware Forms and more Industrial Copperwork, but the Illustrations of Tools and of the limited Techniques can also be used in Jewellery Work, interesting book. (the Cover was blank, so it’s not shown)

A MANUAL OF PRACTICAL INSTRUCTION IN THE ART OF BRASS REPOUSSE FOR AMATEURS by T.G. & W.E. Gawthorp - 1907 - A truly wonderful little book, just the Photographic Illustrations of Repousse Work alone are worth owning this book! They do discuss Techniques and give advice, but there are very few Technical Illustrations of how to do anything. Still definitely worth having if you are interested in Repousse Work. Those who are really interested in Repousse, may recognize the Gawthrop name, as they made some very good Chasing/Repousse Tools…

HAND-FORGING AND WROUGHT IRON ORNAMENTAL WORK by Thomas F. Googerty - 1911 - This book is mostly concerning Wrought Iron Work, but the Techniques and especially the Designs would work equally well for Non-Ferrous Metalwork and Jewellery. A very interesting book!

REPOUSSE WORK FOR AMATEURS: BEING THE ART OF ORNAMENTING THIN METAL WITH RAISED FIGURES by L.L. Haslope - 1887 - Another truly wonderful book on Repousse and this one the highlights are the Technical Illustrations and Design Plans, though not many in the way of Techniques, though they are discussed. Even better, this book is available as a Download through the Ganoksin Store for $5.00…

AMERICAN BLACKSMITHING: TOOLSMITHS’ AND STEELWORKERS’ MANUAL by Holstrom & Holford - 1916 - This book really has nothing for Jewellers, though the information on Tools could be somewhat helpful.

REPOUSSE METALWORK: A SCHEME OF SHEET METALWORK FOR SCHOOLS AND AMATEURS by A.C. Horth - 1905 - Another truly wonderful book on Repousse, though this one delivers even more with Photos, Technical Drawings, Plans and Detailed Techniques! This is one of the best early books on Repousse and one of my favourites!

METAL WORK: CHASING AND REPOUSSE FOR HOME ART WORKERS by Frank G. Jackson - 1903 - Another great early book on Chasing/Repousse Work, with nice Illustrations that are also Plans (sort of) and a step-by-step discussion of Techniques, though only a few Illustrations of them. This is a very difficult book to find and usually quite expensive, which is why mine is an ex-library copy, though you can purchase it through Ganoksin for $5.00!

METALCRAFT AND JEWELRY by Emil Kronquist - 1926 - This is one of my favourite early Jewellery & Metalwork Books and it has it all, Photos, Illustrations, Technical Illustrations, Techniques, etc. and almost all of them have either an Arts & Crafts or Art Nouveau Style to them! This is a great book on Jewellery & Metalwork!

SILVERWORK AND JEWELRY: A TEXT-BOOK FOR STUDENTS AND WORKERS IN METAL by H. Wilson - 1903 - A very good book on Jewellery and Silverwork, with Line Drawings of Tools & Designs and Photographs of Jewellery & Metalwork and some Technical information too.

SILVERWORK AND JEWELRY: A TEXT-BOOK FOR STUDENTS AND WORKERS IN METAL by H. Wilson - 1951 - This is a Revised and Enlarged Edition of the above book, with additional chapters on Japanese Metalworking Techniques and Patination, as well as other Techniques. This is the edition to get if you want a copy of this book!

METALWORK AND ENAMELLING: A PRACTICAL TREATISE ON GOLD AND SILVERSMITHS’ WORK AND THEIR ALLIED CRAFTS by Herbert Maryon - 1912 - This book is truly amazing, the Illustrations of Tools are great and the Photographs of early Metalwork are wonderful, there is also a series of (6) Photos of various Twisted Wire Patterns that are worth purchasing this book for alone! The First Edition of 1912 is next to impossible to find (this is the only copy that I’ve ever seen for sale), though there is a later Edition form the 1950’s that may have been Revised and Expanded and a very inexpensive Re-Print Edition on Amazon. Well worth having in your Reference Library and another of my favourites!

ART METALWORK WITH INEXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT: FOR THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND FOR THE CRAFTSMAN by Arthur F. Payne - 1929 - This is one of my favourite books on Metalworking, though there is a small section on Jewellery too, all in the Arts & Crafts Style (the book was originally Published in 1914 and this is a Revised Edition). The Photos of the Metalwork alone are worth purchasing this book, Mr. Payne was a great Craftsman and Jeweller!

UNIT JEWELLERY: A HANDBOOK FOR CRAFTSMEN IN SIX PARTS by R. LL. B. Rathbone - 1921 - Originally Published in (6) Paperbound Books and sold separately. This Set is truly amazing, as it slowly takes the Student Craftsman through making simple “Units” out of Wire and combining them in to more and more complicated pieces, showing beautiful examples along the way of antique Jewellery that uses the same approach or Techniques. The Techniques get more complicated with each additional book and there are sections on Chains, Twisted Wire and good information on Tools and Techniques! Another of my favourite books, though if you can find a Set, they are typically quite expensive… You can look through (4) of the (6) Volumes on the Internet Archive: Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

COPPER WORK: AN ILLUSTRATED TEXT BOOK FOR TEACHERS AND STUDENTS IN THE MANUAL ARTS by Augustus F. Rose - 1908 - As a lover and collector of Arts & Crafts Copperwork and an amateur Coppersmith, I truly love this book, it is simply incredible! The Photographs, Line Drawings, Plans and Tools that are Illustrated are wonderful and if you’re into Copperwork, you must have this book! Augustus F. Rose was a true Craftsman and made a lot of his own Hammers & Stakes and some of them even bear his name on them (I would love to find a Rose Stake!) and a lot of the smaller Stake Heads are still called “Rose Stakes” to this day!

RELIEF MODELLING IN PEWTER, BRASS, COPPER, ETC.: A PRACTICAL MANUAL FOR AMATEURS by Clara Roth - (5th Edition) ca1920’s - This is a wonderful little book, more or less on Repousse, though using Thinner Metal and Tools that use Hand Pressure, rather than Hammers and Chasing Tools - you would then mount the Panels onto other objects for Decoration. You can find later copies of this book fairly inexpensively, though the First Edition of 1910 is a bit pricey… Still a nice book to have for the interestingly simple Techniques.

L’ART DE LA CORNE by Jeanmaire et Leclerc - ca1900 - Essentially a book on the Art of Horn Carving or Horn Work in French. I love this little book and even though my French is poor, I can still follow along pretty easily. The Illustrations of Tools and the Designs very nicely done and have a definite Art Nouveau Style to them. I love Art Nouveau Horn Work and have the desire to bring back some of those Designs and learn to Carve Horn myself and this book is a step in that direction. A somewhat difficult book to find, I found this copy on Ebay…

1 Like