Jeanie Pratt - Jewelry Gallery

Nipomo, CA. USA
jeaniepratt.net

As a fiber artist who now works with metal, I find that after 30 years, I am still striving to turn straw into gold! I am passionate about discovering the surprises of using fiber techniques in my work with copper, silver, gold and niobium. With a weaver's eye for color, I explore the processes of applying patinas and enamels, as well as incorporating gemstones and beads into my work.

My designs and patterns have been inspired by the study of traditional textiles that I encountered while living in West Africa , Guatemala , and the United Kingdom . My organic geometric shapes are derived from my earlier studies of entomology, botany and my love of natural history in general.

I love to pursue possibilities that emerge from within the solitude of my garden shed studio. Fiber arts counterbalance the intense human contact and often illogical bureaucracy of my "day job" at Social Services. I lose myself in time through detailed labor-intensive processes. I strive to push my own limits as well as the limits of the techniques and materials that I use.

Niobium Globe Handwoven and anodized niobium Courtesy of Thirteen Moons Gallery, Santa Fe, NM Photo: Carol Holaday

Jade Brooch

Jade Brooch
Handwoven sterling silver, 14K gold, jade
Photo: Lindsay Pratt

Twined Treasure

Twined Treasure
Handwoven (twined and soumak) fine and sterling silver, labradorite
Photo: Carol Holaday

Tortola

Tortola
Handwoven coated copper wire, seed beads
Courtesy of Thirteen Moons Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
Photo: Dale Reid

Rosas

Rosas
Handwoven (twined and soumak) and knit fine and sterling silver, carved tourmaline, seed beads
Photo: Lindsay Pratt

Jewel Beetle Teapot

Jewel Beetle Teapot

Handwoven, etched and fabricated; sterling silver, fine silver, 18 karat gold, jewel beetle (Buprestid) wings, Dichroic glass beads, ammonite, peridot and Mexican Opal

Courtesy of Mobilia Gallery, Cambridge, MA

Mimicry #2

Mimicry#2
Handwoven, etched and fabricated; sterling silver, 14 karat gold, resin and spinel

Una Ala #1

Una Ala #1
Handwoven (looped), anodized and fabricated; copper, niobium, sterling silver and opal

Vuelo

Vuelo
Handwoven (looped), knit, anodized and fabricated; fine silver, sterling silver, 22 karat gold, 18 karat gold, niobium, jewel beetle (Buprestid) wing, copper, shibuichi and opal

Jitterbug

Materials: Copper, niobium, brass
Dimensions: 2.75" x 2.75"

Hand woven, embossed, fabricated, etched, anodized

Photo credit: Carol Holaday

Alate

Materials: Sterling (Argentium) silver, fine silver, copper, glass cabochons, freshwater pearls, butterfly wings (Papilio anchisiades), beetle wings (Rosenbergia straussi, Anoplophora asuanga), enamel, seed beads
Dimensions: 17” necklace with 2.5” counterbalance

Hand knit, hand woven, bobbin lace, enameled, etched, fabricated, oxidized

Photo credit: Hap Sakwa

Lacewing

Materials: Argentium silver, fine silver, sterling silver, niobium, stainless steel, copper, copper mineral in quartz, green topaz, garnet, opals, Rhodolite garnet, lab Alexandrite, freshwater cultured pearls, enamel , beetle wings (Euchroma gigantea, Chrysochroa fulminans nishiyamai)
Dimensions: 18” Chain with 3” Counterbalance

Bobbin lace, hand knit, Viking knit, coiled, lashed, embossed, anodized, enameled, etched, fabricated

Mimicry #1

Materials: Sterling Silver, copper, resin, freshwater pearls
Dimensions: 2” x 1.5”

Hand woven, etched, fabricated

Elytra

Materials: Argentium silver, fine silver, 24K gold, 22K gold, 18K gold, 14K gold, copper, niobium, beetle wings, butterfly wings, opals, cacoxenite in amethyst, ammolite, amethyst, lab Alexandrite, citrine, enamel
Dimensions: 18 inch necklace with 2.5 inch counterbalance

Hand woven, knit, looped, stitched, enameled, etched, fabricated, anodized, oxidized

Fact or Fantasy

Materials: Sterling silver, fine silver, niobium, 22K gold, 18K gold, 14K gold, butterfly and beetle wings, opal, ammolite, star sapphire, amber (with insect inclusions), rutilated quartz, citrine, green topaz, peridot, freshwater pearls, enamel, resin
Dimensions: 13” x 7” x 3/8”

Hand knit, bobbin lace, enameled, lashed, etched, fabricated, anodized, oxidized

Mimicry #5

Materials: Sterling silver, pearls, enamel
Dimensions: 3.5” x 2”

Hand woven, enameled, etched, fabricated

Mimicry #9

Materials: Sterling Silver, 18K gold, enamel, lab sapphire, labradorite, freshwater pearls, seed beads
Dimensions: 3.25” x 2”

Hand woven, enameled, etched, fabricated

Aflutter

Materials: Fine silver, sterling silver, niobium, 24K gold, 18K gold, 14K gold, Jewel beetle wings (Euchroma gigantea and Chrysodema sp.), ammolite, garnet, freshwater pearls, enamel
Dimensions: Necklace length, largest element 1.5” x 1”

Hand knit, hand woven, looped, enameled, embossed, lashed, etched, fabricated, anodized

Photo credit: Lindsay Pratt