Ivory Necklace - Differences Unite Us

Materials: Faux Bone™, trade beads, cotton cord
Dimensions: Hangs approximately 19", each tile approximately 1" x 3"

Carved Faux Bone™ to resemble ivory embellish this piece. This piece is based on an ivory neckpiece attributed to The Republic of Zaire. Although I am working with different materials, the resulting piece is a reflection of art created many years ago using traditional materials and methods; those differences unite us in keeping art alive.

Photo credit: Melissa Cable

Judy Freyer Thompson
Derby, CT. USA

While it was not my intent, at the start of making jewelry, for any of my designs to reflect a certain belief, style or subject. I do find myself drawn to certain materials and techniques.
I began stringing beads, that was fine, in the beginning. Fortunately it was not enough to keep me satisfied for long. I was not quite sure which direction I wanted to go, but I knew I wanted more.

Although I have been creating pieces for a few years, I am not yet precisely sure where my expression is taking me, and where I will end up. I have become passionate with turning found objects into pieces of art to adorn the body. I began experimenting with sheet metal, found objects and Faux Bone.

African Art has become a prominent influence for me, more precisely African Masks. The depth of meaning and the complex yet simple carving and designs have captivated my mind. I have begun to carve wearable pieces of art using Faux Bone that incorporate mask designs embellished with copper, horsehair, feathers, bone and bone beads.

I cannot often explain where my inspiration arises from for a particular piece. I have been asked numerous times the question of ‘what were you thinking?’ It is very difficult to explain. I often hope that each piece can tell it’s own story and each person can take away their own message from a piece. If they admire my work and can feel satisfied with the message they have come away with, that makes me feel fulfilled.

Influences:
I am greatly influenced by found objects as well as naturally occurring objects that I can combine with acquired components. I enjoy working with bones, teeth, antlers, animal hair, wood, shells and seed pods.

Silk ribbon and other fibers often embellish my pieces.

I admire and am influenced by the works of Robert Dancik, Richard Salley, Thomas Mann, Bob Ebendorff and Susan Lenart Kazm

Ganoksin hosts the jewelry list Orchid, with over 13,000 list members from all over the world, speaking from a wide range of technical and aesthetic experiences. The exhibition theme grew out of a desire to celebrate the creativity encompassed in this wide variety.

Artists were free to interpret the theme in any way they chose. Each artist could submit up to six pieces. Interpretations include uniting different materials into one cohesive form; intellectual and emotional “unitings”, where the meaning of the piece unites multiple concepts; the uniting of time - past, present and future; and a number that focus on the harmony created when uniting multiple materials and/or concepts.

The work submitted involved a wide range of jewelry techniques, from very traditional to very cutting edge, as well as using materials from traditional precious metals and gemstones to “re-purposed” and “up-cycled” materials.

The exhibition showcases 330 images chosen from entries from over 111 artists representing 26 countries.

Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Serbia, Spain, Trinidad, Turkey, UK, USA, Venezuela, and the Virgin Islands

Many of the participants began their interest in jewelry at a young age. Some are relative newcomers to the field, and some have over 35 years of experience as professional jewelers and goldsmiths. While some grew up in families that were goldsmiths, and followed in those footsteps, others only began creating jewelry as adults.