Is this silver speedwire suitable for use with a TIG pulse src welder

Hello,

i have a question for the TIG pulse arc welder users
(i use an Orion)

there is a product called laser speedwire.
it is a very fine wire that can be used in a pen-like dispenser which looks like it would make it easier to feed in/ apply wire while welding…

the item description says 80%silver, with the balance being copper and a small amount of zinc.

i know that TIG pulse arc welders do not particularly fond of zinc…and that the description says “laser”…

does anyone know if this silver version can be used with pulse arc welders…?

Stuller sells Speedwire pre-loaded with various metals, or as empty dispensers in a number of different colors. You can load them with wire of your choice (e.g. Argentium). They sell a repair kit as well, if you use the dispenser enough to wear one out.

Dead soft wire is much easier to wind and load. Springy wire can make you laugh, or give you Donald Duck fits.

A jump ring winder can make winding a coil much easier.

Neil A

I’ve never used the silver laser wire that you’re talking about with a pulse arc welder, but I have used this silver laser wire from Rio Grande with my pulse arc welders.

It’s also 80% silver with copper and zinc added. I’m nearly positive that it’s the same thing, that you’re describing. You can click on the Rio Grande SDS sheet for the full alloy composition to compare.

This 80% wire works well, but I prefer palladium silver wire. PUK sells that. It works great for welding silver.

Earlier in December a jeweler buddy told me the he thinks that platinum silver wire is the best option for welding silver, since palladium has gotten to be so expensive. My friend said to get it here:

You used to be able to buy palladium silver welding wire from either Hoover and Strong or Handy & Harmon (I forget?) I bought an ounce a long time ago. It’s been a lifetime supply. Sadly, they don’t make it anymore.

Like I said the extra hard silver solder welding wire works well, but I think palladium silver (and probably platinum silver) works better.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

1 Like

Hi,

ah! yes, from Jeff Herman…forgot about that! I will see of it is still available! thank you!

julie

Jeffery Herman sold a speed wire specific to the PUK pulse arc welder. I am not sure what became of his business after he died last year…Rob

My friend said that this platinum silver wire is still being sold, but I haven’t tried to buy any yet. Been too busy this month. I’ll give it a try in January.

There’s no problem using any laser wire with either a PUK or an Orion. I’ve got an Orion 200i and a PUK. The best comparison that I can think of is that there are lots of different torches, but they all use the same solder.

One thing with the PUK palladium silver welding wire. I ordered some from Gesswein in August. It was back ordered and didn’t arrive until November. It cost $100 per container, which was way more than the last time that I bought it. This wire works great for welding silver, but it’s grayer than silver, so it’s not a good color match. That wire isn’t on the Gesswein website anymore, but it is on the Lampert/PUK USA website. (It’s also way cheaper! I’m going to have to investigate that. Maybe it’s a smaller amount of wire?)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

what i observed yesterday was that some are sold in 5’ or 10’ lengths…

i believe Jeff herman felt the ag platinum was the best color match…

i will try to obtain that one…interestingly, his description says it has zinc in it too…

i recall a conversation with orion…where he talked about boiling points (vaporization) versus melting points…and zinc has a low boiling points…i forget the details, but that was the gist…knowing about boiling points of metal…

regarding finding the dispensers…stuller does have them…gotta click on the drop down menu options…i may buy the silver 80% just to get the dispenser and spool…

i believe the jeff herman version comes in a coil…may be time consuming to wind around the spool…but the product sounds worth the effort…it can also be used as is in coil form…

great info everyone, thank you!

happy new year!

julie

1 Like

I have a TIG welder and I use regular sterling silver wire. Argentium in my case. I don’t see any need to lower the amount of silver when welding. I do agree and easy way to hold it would be nice.
Bernie

I bought a coil of welding wire from Jeff and a speed wire holder from someone whose name I can’t dredge up. I remember that it was a chore getting the wire into the holder…Rob

1 Like

Hi,

I called Stuller to discuss, and ended up choosing their sterling silver speedwire (no zinc) and a dispenser (this adventure started because i started to covet a dispenser applicator)…

i also bought Jeff Hermans formula with platinum…since it is highly recommended for good welds and color match…it is in a coil, rather than the speedwire dispenser spool…but does have a zip tie to keep it coiled…will try it as is, before thinking about spooling it like a wild kitty…

julie

1 Like