Is there an easy way to undo a bezel?

Hello!

I just made a 14k gold bezel for a Dendritic agate necklace that has no back. I set it all up and realized the hooks on the side were uneven, so I have to remove one of the hooks and re-solder it back on lower. The problem is I don’t want to ruin the bezel I just made by improperly taking it out and I don’t want to heat it up with the agate in it because I don’t know how it will change the stone.
Does anyone have recommendations on what to do? Is there a tool to undo a bezel safely?

Thank you all!

Ava

1 Like

I use an Xacto blade that has been ground down so it’s no longer sharp, and the tip is rounded. Slip it in between the bezel and stone and gently, gradually work it loose. With an agate it should be fine, though obviously with a softer stone there’s a high risk of damage (though if you’re lucky that damage will be covered by the bezel when all is said and done).

3 Likes

Hello Ava,
“ifutzwithfire” gave you good advice on removing a stone by slipping a dulled Xacto blade down between the bezel wall and the stone. I would add that for softer stones (like turquoise), put a very thin strip of metal ( 32 ga or less) like brass or titanium between the blade and the stone. This metal strip spreads the pressure and greatly reduces the likelihood of damaging the stone. Just like removing baseboard from a wall, this technique prevents damaging the soft dry wall.

All the best.
Judy in Kansas, where snow has finally arrived. Temps barely below freezing, so no melting for a little while.

6 Likes

I usually start any stone removals, from bezels to prong set stones, with a cheap single edge razor blade. They are cheap, and very, very thin.
For bezels I often grind away all but the very corner of the blade, to make a very thin wedge to just sart to lift the metal.
I use a full blade to begin lifting prongs off of stones.
Work very slowly, and with no force at all. You just want to open a tiny opening between the metal and the stone
I move to a sheetrock knofe blade for the next step. Keep all pressure “away” from the stone, “lifting” the metal away from the stone, and not “wedging” against the stone. You want to lift the metal off of the gem.
If you break the blade, start with a new one.
Razor blades cost far less than gemstones, or even metal tools.

3 Likes

There are several good suggestions in the replies that you have already received. I use a thin sharp razor blade knife and keep working my way around. As described in your post, you have the advantage of the back being open. You should be able to push the stone out once the bezel is released just a bit. Good luck…Rob

1 Like

The suggestions given are all correct.
As you say the collet is backless then cut through with a ‘6O’ blade through the solder joint and take it from there.
And remember adversity is the best teacher.
Terry

2 Likes

Someone here has probably suggested this but you can find someone who does laser welding and have them solve this issue

1 Like

I had to do that a while ago and I used a dental probe, like in the attached image. Grounded the tip to make it thinner. Given its shape you can use your finger above the stone to push it “between” your finger and the bezel.

1 Like

I would be afraid of chipping the gemstone.
The reason I choose a razor blade to begin to lift a bezel or a prong, is to minimize, and spread out any force against the stone. The razor is both very very thin, and any pressure it does exert on the edge of a gemstone is spread out over a wider area.
Seeing that dental probe, even thinned out, I would hesitate to use it as I would fear that it would concentrate pressure in a very small area, and might chip the stone.
Just my opinion. If it works for you, then it solves your problem, and that is what this is all about.

2 Likes

RIO Grande sells this little device. PRONG LIFTER, MINI, I’ve never tried it but it looks like it is made so you just pry the prongs away from the stone without touching the stone. I ordered one but have yet to use it.

1 Like

I use one of a set of very cheap tools called spudgers. I work the stone out in just the opposite direction as setting. I start at the flatter side and work my way to the narrow ends. The tools are metal and very thin and flexible. There are many uses like mixing epoxy so you don’t get lots of bubbles. Mix slowly and spread thin. THis is the type I am talking about. Image is from google. image

2 Likes