Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Is there a market for independent CAD designers?

Hi there everyone. Question for the forums. I recently had the good fortune to take a 3Design class at Rio and it got me thinking about picking up the software. At this point in my life, the price point is a huge investment that would need to show me returns.
This would be JUST the CAD file, not a 3d printed model, not a cast product. If this started taking off, I’d love to move into a more full service modeling operation.
I have a decent amount of experience with most all aspects of bench jewelry, and experience with 3D modeling, so I’m not super concerned about the amount of time to spin up to a professional level.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Do you hire designers for your own businesses? Any and all information or suggestions are appreciated!

I would hire you. I have access to a FormLabs 3D printer. My business has grown when I can show clients a 3D mockup of their ideas.

Karen Christians
Western Avenue Studio, #506
122 Western Avenue
Lowell, MA 01851
Karenchristians.com
781-367-4992

If you’re good and you can develop relationships with people doing custom work for retail
jewelers, you can stay very busy. Typically a cad modeler gets about $150-$200 for a model, more if its unusually tricky, plus $50 for a resin. Most in the industry are using Gemvision’s Matrix software. They have excellent support.
Mark

My favourite CAD fellow does about 3,000 waxes a year at about $135.00 per
wax…you do the math!

Gerry Lewy
Toronto, Ontario.
Canada!

Mark beat me to it, he’s exactly right. Put together a portfolio of a few of your renderings and if you can, a few live pieces created from your designs, both finished and tumbled rough castings and start knocking on doors. If you have a quality, usable product and present yourself as a true professional, you might be surprised how well you’re received.

Dave

If you have strong bench skills folks in the trade will flock to you for CAD work.

My CAD fellow & I communicate so easily. We have a certain jewellery understanding, I don’t tell him what to do and I leave his cad work to him. He is a very aware of what I want!..:wink:
It’s a good way of doing business!!

Gerry! from my mobile-phone!

Thanks everyone! Definitely motivation to keep it up and get a portfolio together. Great idea to have some of them cast to really round it out.