Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Is it intasia, inlay or mosaic

 The inlay I've done consisted of small pieces of stone
(chips) placed in a defined area, and the Intarsia I've seen
looks more like set tiles or stained glass art, it has been
small, cut to pattern,  pieces of stone places very close
together, in fact, so close together that it looks like a
single stone . . . like mosaic.

Is inlay a single stone set in metal, and intasia slices of
stone butted up against stone, and set in stone. Or are these all
terms for the same thing. Or do each of the terms describe the
pattern, and not maybe the process.

In the Fifth Edition of Gems: R. Webster page 480 There is an
explanation of mosaics, intasia, inlay and pietra dura. quote:
“The fitting together of small pieces of colored ornamental
stones to form a pattern or picture is called mosaic or inlay
which is sometimes know under the names intasia or pietra dura.”

I must be dumb as a post but it all seems the same, is there a
excepted “trade definition” and a way to identify which is which,
and how important is it on an appraisal or take in sheet. I
guess pietra dura sounds a lot more expensive than inlay. I am
new at all this so please be patient, I am really trying to

The dunce newby

Dear Judith,

Pietra dura is a mosaic ornamention in which little pieces of
gemstones are put side to side to form a mosaic. These stones are
layed in a flat gem like f.i. onyx. They make holes in the onyx
with drops of accid (or this is the original manner) You are
excpected to see flowers, ruins, castels etc. A typical
Florentine type of ornament.

Mille-fiori is the Roman variety in which little collored
brick-like pieces of glass “tesserae” are cemented side to side
and so creating a mosaic.

Intarsia is sometomes used for Pietra-Dura but is original a
woodcarvers term and is similair but then in wood.

Inlaying is the term used for any metal-in-metal inlay work (not
niello or enamel).

If you have any questions, ask me

Best regard