Inventorying and archiving

OK…Now that I have an increasing body of work and participating in fine art exhibitions as well as open studio sales, I’m struggling on a good, easy format for inventorying my work. While not interested in purchasing, I’ve looked at professional archival sites to see how they organize information such as: image, dimensions, materials, part of a series or not, sales info including price vs sale and name/contact of purchaser, as well as galleries exhibited in. Does anyone have a template or suggestion for keeping track of their stuff?
thx Judy

When I first started making and selling jewelry I had a great copier/printer and I’d make a copy of the the piece by laying the work on the copier glass and cover it with white paper. It was amazingly good! Not the one I have now, though…

I have a notebook where I make a rouch sketch of the piece and write down all the info you’re talking about. I assign each piece a number, they’re sorted by tabs into types (earrings, rings…). I have all the materials listed, the price (and figurings), the measurements, what gallery it is in, and when one sells, I mark it with a highliter marker and record date and buyer.

I’ve accumulated 4 notebooks.

I also take photos of almost all of my work, for etsy, social media and/or website/promo.

I’d love to combine all of it into a program if I felt like the cost was worth the money and time investment. So I’m interested in answers as well!

1 Like

wow, 4 books! you are productive!
I do want a digital format, so easy to maneuver once it’s set. I’ve created Excel sheets with thumbnail images of the piece and some pertinent info next to it. I keep one with basic info which I also print out and hand-write pricing for selling events. However, it’s cumbersome to edit or organize because I’m simply pasting in the image and putting info next to it, there is no template. I think what I need is a template. And then is each piece a separate page? and combine for my sales info? there must be something out there–free!

I use jewelry designer manger plus and this software does everything that you are talking about. http://www.bejeweledsoftware.com
I don’t work for the company and I’m not affiliated in any way. It’s just the software I’ve been using to manage inventory of parts, metal and pieces at galleries. It’s particularly useful at tax time.

2 Likes

I did the photo approach once - and then switched to the square on my ipad. Ipad was too much trouble when someone was purchasing. Will be going back to image and paper- write it down - next to photo. I have a rule that nothing leaves my studio until I take a photo.

1 Like

Look at airtable. It is a free relational database that is very easy to use and will allow you to import pictures. The only thing missing from the free version is the ability to create forms like an invoice…Rob

hammermancarol–Thanks for your interesting approach. So for keeping track of your work, who buys, where exhibited, etc, you take a photo and then write in all info next to it?

rmeixner-- I only just glanced at Airtable. It may be what I’m looking for, not sure yet, it may be looking more complicated than it is to use. any hints?
thanks!

You have to know how common relational databases work like Filemaker Pro, Access and the open source versions. Airtable is easier, but you still have to know about relationships, drop downs, primary keys and more. If not, then you have to rely on for pay versions that are unique to a specific application. Just thought that I would throw it out since airtable is free…Rob

1 Like

Yup - it was the fastest. Putting it in the ipad/square was not.

I use Jewelry Designer Manager Premier Plus and love it. However, the company went out of business and I can not access my data. Are you able to access it since December 25, 2019? Any tips for me?

As Jewelry Designer Pro has closed, I have switched to AccountEdge and am very pleased with the program. And it uploads to Shopify.

debh,
I could not find a website for AccountEdge. Lots of accounting softwares for accounting. How does it handle pricing based on cost + labor?.

Hi Ginger,

The website is accountedge.com. We are still loading our work but the program offers more than Jewellery Design did. Especially with the inventory transfer of making pieces. This program understands
fabrication rather than just putting 2 parts together to make a piece. It also is a full accounting program not just an inventory program.

Regards,

Deb Haug,

Certificate of Jewellery Skills,

Alberta University of the Arts

image003.png

deb@gemrapture.ca

**1-780-953-8234**

Div. of Create-Mode Inc.

image002.jpg

Thanks. At $399 for initial and $199 par year for upgrade, it is way out of my available finances. I have accounting software already and only need the manufacturing & inventory parts of this new option.

I really appreciate your referral, though.

Hi Ginger, the upgrade is only if you are doing payroll, for the new payroll tables. I have received 4 upgrades already, no cost.

Regards,

Deb Haug,

Certificate of Jewellery Skills,

Alberta University of the Arts

image003.png

deb@gemrapture.ca

**1-780-953-8234**

Div. of Create-Mode Inc.

image002.jpg

So AccountEdge is not a good option! We have discovered that even though they advertise that the program is suitable for manufactures, it is NOT. AccountEdge can not account for cost + labour. We are asking for a refund. It is also unable to import the quantity of each inventory item, although the information was in the qty field during the import.

I have checked out Kanata and have been quoted $99US/mth or $948US/yr with a 20% discount on an annual subscription. It is a cloud based program, so there is no actual ownership of the program. NOT going to happen here!

Just a not on Jewelry Manager Pro, the program still works for inventory, with the work around for fabrication. Barbara closed the company because she passed away in March from Cancer.

So referral for an accounting program that handle inventory would be greatly appreciated. What are you using?

My condolences. I didn’t know Barbara passed away. I was wondering what happened to her and no one (that I knew that used the program) knew what happened. Very sad news. I’ve still not found a program that did what JMP did. Thank you for the review of AE, I’ve been looking at that one too.

Go to the Jewelry Design Manager facebook page. There is someone who is working on getting a clone functional.

Thank you, my husband has mentioned this work. I don’t know that I want to continue using it. JDM has to be double entered as it doesn’t understand fabrication of part. Converting raw goods into parts. Barbara and I work together and her fix is to create the part to a piece, to work out the pricing but with a qty available as zero. That piece then needs to be created as a part to move the raw goods to the part, with an adjustment to the raw goods inventory amount. Last step is then to use to part into the finished piece.

There is no available tracking, scheduling, of the BOM. The worst part was during importing, it changed all of our part numbers and our numbers are difficult to locate. I ended up having to print as an Excel sheet and use the search program to find our part number and cross reference. However, this info is only available in one report.

Also the program only handle A/P, A/R and inventory so a further program is required for accounting.

Thanks for the referral. Any other options? What program do you use?

Deb H.