Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Ingot release

So I was at NAPA getting silicone spray (tucker tool thread) and saw they had graphite spray. And … was wondering if it would work as a release for ingot molds. I don’t have an oxygen/acteylene torch, so can’t soot it up with acetylene (I use oxygen/propane and air/acteylene). I’m presently using Metallon “non-stick ingot spray”. Anyone ever used graphite spray?? Just curious. No clue what is in the Metallon product, but suspect it has to be graphite?? The Metallon product works like a charm … so I guess don’t fix what ain’t broke :slight_smile:

Brent,
I decided to weigh in on this thread because I also use both natural gas and propane for my bench torch and my casting torch.
I have always used soot (carbon) to lubricate my ingot molds. I don’t like smelling the oil burning off the mold when using that solution as a mold release.Yes, natural gas and propane are much cleaner gases than acetylene, but I have been able to create enough soot to lubricate the molds I use.
I have never used graphite spray, but I bet dollars to doughnuts it will work just fine. It’s really just a matter of whether you want to spend the money (regardless of how little the spray costs) and the time going to the store to buy something that is readily available in your shop.

Does the propellant in the spray you are using have an odor when it burns off in the mold, or does it evaporate before you get to the point of pouring? Just curious

I think that if you block off one of the holes at the torch base, you cut off part of the air and. Can make soot.

Marilyn

Why not get a regular non bees wax candle. Let the wick get longer after burning a while or cut the wax down to make it longer. Holding the candle close to the mold will soot it up well. It also wont make it too hot to hold. It’s the old lady solution. It’s also a heck of a lot cheaper.

Aggie

1 Like

Oops forgot to say hold the candle below the mold held right side down.

Well, now that makes sense doesn’t it :). I’ll have to give that a shot.

Thanks … guess there is more than one way to do things. I’d never have thought of a candle.

I think the metallic spray I am using is actually a graphite spray. I sprayed a bit out and the residue looks like graphite. The carrier appears to be alcohol … its smells that way. Its long gone by the time you start heating the mold up, so no smoking. I’m going to try Marilyn’s suggestion of blocking the ports on the smith torch to get soot. I plan on making some wire next week so we’ll see how that goes.