How to re-balance my rolling mill?

After all the talk about what rolling mill to buy I decided to do some
texture rolling with my mill.

To my horror I find the rollers are not touching evenly. I recently moved house and as it was working a few months ago, I can only guess the movers did something to damage the gears or something.
When I roll them to touch only one side touches, the other shows a small gap.

I really cannot afford to buy a new one at this time so I have to find some way
to try and fix this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I do not live in the u.s. so don’t have access to machine shops. Well, proper
machine shops.

Sharron

Hello,

I recently watched this free view video, on the Jewelry Training Solutions website, where Peter Keep showed how to re-align the rollers on a rolling mill that had gone mis-aligned. It starts at about the 1:40 minute mark.

here is the link to the free view section:
scroll down to view: “rolling metal” video

http://www.jewellerytrainingsolutions.com.au/free-lessons

I am not an expert, so others may have better advice, but this seemed a simple easy to understand straightforward demo to me. I went ahead and checked the alignment on my mill after watching this video, and re-calibrated it using this method.

On a related note, here is another free view video, on the same website, showing how to care for, clean, and polish the rollers on a mill.

here is the link to the free view section:
scroll down to view: “roll mill care” video

http://www.jewellerytrainingsolutions.com.au/free-lessons

again, I am not an expert, and others may have superior advice about this, but it seemed to work for me. I used 3-1 oil, rather than WD-40, and did not need to do the brass brush or emery paper step, only the final polish step with steel rouge.

I had also seen this video on youtube, done by Ronda Coryell, showing how to polish the rolling mill rolls, using simichrome…I will need to order some for next time.

just thought I would share this info, as it was helpful to me.

Julie

great timing for me! Loved the site - thank you!

This is great I never thought to use semichrome.

I have an older rolling mill that is very easy to adjust. The handle that raises and lowers the top roller is removable by just pulling it up.

Than you can turn the adjustment to raise or lower the roller which adjusts the thickness. IF you use “feeler gage” it is possible to adjust each side individually until the spacing on each side is equal. Than replace the top adjustment gear and handle and your mill will that roll out a flat sheet.

The alignment of rollers comes up regularly.
So I uploaded a video on Youtube to show how to align your roller.
Check out Aligning a jewelers rolling mill - YouTube
and if you have a Cavallin mill and you want to take the whole thing apart,
check out Servicing Cavallin Rolling Mill
You are welcome.

Hello Hans,

Thank you for posting the videos, much appreciated!

I was wondering if I might ask you a few questions about my rolling mill, which I purchased from a friend of a friend a few years ago.

The only markings I can see are "FC1 12P (I “think” thats what it says.)

I was wondering if:

1. you could identify the manufacturer.
  2. it was able to accept extention rollers on the outside side.
  3. I should clean under one of the dials that feels loose and gritty when turned…

Your advise would be greatly appreciated!

I will attempt to upload multiple photos, but it might take a few posts…

Best Regards,
Julie

Hello again Hans,

here are more photos.

Hello again Hans,

here are the last few

photos.

Julie

Julie,

I’m not Hans, but looking at your photos and remembering that FC could stand for Filli Cavallin (Cavallin’s Sons), I google searched for images of Cavallin mills and they sure do look like yours, so I think that’s what you have. I’m not sure whether you can mount outside rollers on these or not. It looks like your mill is like Hans’ and has planetary reduction gears on one side and they drive the bottom roller, whereas the upper roller is driven by the gear of the lower roller on the other side. Han’s mill does show two thin gears, so if yours does have these, perhaps you can use just one set to drive the rollers and the other set can be replaced by small outside rollers. You could certainly inquire of Cavallin’s US distributer if there is one, or of Cavallin directly. If no one there speaks English well, I can volunteer to write some emails in Italian for you or find a native speaker to Skype with them. I’m still a student of Italian, but I’m better at that than I am a jewelry making!

Anyway, pull up some images of Cavallin mills on line and take a look and see what you think. By the way, all the talk about Durstons aside (and Durstons are very good mills) Cavallins are a very good brand, too, and not to be sneezed at. Cavallin makes a lot of big motorized mills, as does, I assume Durston. Very professional.

Yes, This is a Cavallin mill. and yes, Cavallin did make good rolling mills. However, they are no longer in business.
Let me know if u can help with anything.
Matthew Durston
Durston Rolling Mills

Hi Sharron.
Using feeler gauges to measure the gaps at each end of the rolls doesn’t really work because there is no pressure being exerted. When the rolls are doing work, the pressure between them takes up the slight slack in the bearings and, although its not much, it makes a difference in the actual gaps experienced by the material being rolled. The only way is to measure the thickness of something that’s actually rolled.
I take a piece of copper wire, bend it into a U-shape and roll it “legs first” almost right through. Then take it out and measure the thickness of each “leg”. If they’re different, adjust the appropriate bearing and repeat until you’re satisfied.

I hope this helps.
Gary

1 Like

Hello Mr Durston,

Thank you for helping to identify my mill…I have always been curious about it!

May I ask if there might be Durston extension rollers (half round) that might be compatible with/ fit onto my mill?

(I do know of a good machine shop, if you feel that your extension rollers might be easily modified to fit? or perhaps alternate gears made?)

Julie

Hi RoyJohn,

Thank you for taking the time to look into that for me, I appreciate it!

The mystery of manufacture seems to be solved. Now I will see it I can find extension rollers somehow…

Julie

Thank you everyone for your great advise and help. My rollers are now both
even and polished
and I am a happy person again.

Sharron