How to polish etched silver Without losing the liver of sulfur patina

How do I polish raised silver on a etched cuff, Not losing the liver of sulfur patina on the lower surface?

Hi, If you have a polish cloth you can rub the high parts. If you want a high polish get a 1" polish wheel, very fine, and carefully go over the high parts. A soft buff can get below and into the patina easy, so I always use a hard rubber polish wheel with my flexshaft. Then wash with water and toothbrush and dry with soft towel.

I have several pieces of pine, 3/4" x 3/4" with different types of leather glued to the surfaces. I use the inside of the hide as a polishing surface because it holds the compound well. Basically I just file surfaces with my sticks. This only works on relatively flat surfaces. I know it will work on flat cuffs as they are pretty much my stock in trade. If you are making anti-clastic bracelets I suspect you would have to wrap dowels of the right diameter to get the same effect.

Don Meixner

1 Like

This is an ideal use of tumblers. When i was making anticlastic etched cuffs in sterling - about 100 of them for an order - I first ran them in a vibratory tumbler, flow thru, with a fine abrasive media. I remember it was called clean cut and I used the cone shape. I ran them for 4 or 5 hours. Then applied LOS - room temperature - I posted the formula last week. Let them dry, then ran them in the same abrasive media for 20 to 30 minutes to remove all patina except in the etch. Then to the rotary tumbler for 45 minutes - I could run about 8 or 10 bracelets in the large drum with 40# of stainless steel. done, and beautiful. In a smaller rotary, same time, but many fewer bracelets.

Judy…Your book prompted me to try tumbling a LOS finish in SS shot for 20 - 30 minutes. It usually results in a very nice burnished finish unlike the dull oxidized finish that went into the tumbler to start. Note that the surface was first finish polished and cleaned well prior to adding the LOS surface. I usually clean with a hot solution of ammonia, Dawn and water and remove any polishing residue with pumice free goop. I would like to try steam, but I don’t have a steam cleaner. I am sure that there are other ways to get to the same point, but this works for me…Rob

1 Like

Rob, Just a quick note on your lack of a steamer. I, too, did not have a steamer nor was I taught its use in my minimal schooling. Being a thoughtful fabricator who has to make up all my engineering approaches to my fabricating, I thought, Aha! Why not use my currently unused espresso maker which has a milk frother attachment. Lo and behold! It works like a charm. Remember to use wooden tongs or long metal ones so there is no heat transferred to your hands. Wear eye protection just in case not all the polish compound was removed. And, do it over your sink.

2 Likes

I just found a YouTube Tutorial on using an espresso machine as a steamer. I think they may have them at Lowes.

Don

1 Like

Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but I would check thrift stores…I often see them there…it’s one of those appliances that end up being surplus in some folks’ houses after the thrill wears off…-royjohn

We had one years ago that was apparently surplussed. I learned this when I went looking for it…Rob

1 Like

I can’t find that tutorial. Could you post a link please and thank you.