How to make these shaped wires?!

Hiii! Been trying to figure just how these beautiful sharp shaped “v” wires are produced! I assumed you used the method of filing a bit of the wire at the bend you’ll be making so that you get a crisp bend, then from there hammer hammer hammer and file file file? The thing is, I’ve done this and either:
A) snapped the wire in two at the bend(assuming I didnt anneal and got carried away with the hammering?)
B) the wire flared out at all the wrong places
C) everything went wrong that could…

I’m new to this process and cant find any info to help. Any advice as far as hammering or the filing or ANYTHING like I said. I’m ASSUMING these are the things needed to produce these effects…please correct me if I’m wrong!!!

These look to be not one wire bent into a V but two wires mitered and soldered.

3 Likes

C) everything went wrong that could…

Welcome to the real world eh?

Verysharp bends can be achieved by filing almost completely through the wire, filing away with enough relief to the cut to close to correct angle, and then soldering the joint.
Practice, practice, practice.
Sharper, more exact angles can be achieved by cutting through completely, filing to fit perfectly, and then soldering. A true PITA, but you will get the best results. The wire needs to be measured correctly.

2 Likes

I am not a production jeweler, but specialize in repair. My expertise is more in finding a way to reproduce a match or mate for half pair of earrings, or producing a copy of an existing piece, for family to share.
I enjoy the challenge of always changing projects and challenges. I could never get in to production, but I do enjoy studying a piece of jewelry, and finding a way to either rebuild or reproduce that item.

@Elliot_Nesterman
…GENIUS!!! I would have never ever thought of that! Thank you so very much. And tips on getting them to the point where they are ready to be joined/soldered?

@ringdoctor omg thank you so much! And I definitely do not do any "production’ in the sense of banging out the same piece over and over again…
Now that…would drive me nuts…
Your line of work sounds most fun! Everyday something different? Never know what you’re going to get or how you’re going to fix it? Anything like that sound like your work? If so SIGN ME UP!

I wanted to try these shaped out because A) I couldn’t find any information on how to do them so it seemed like a challenge right off the bat
B) how pretty they are! Once something like this “simple” V is master?! the possibility in different shapes and configuration seems endless in my mind!

@Elliot_Nesterman

What about these? Soldered as well do you think?

These appear to be pendants. I would worry a bit that these severe sharp points would do damage to the wearer’s body or what they are wearing. That being said, there are a couples ways to get the sharp bend that you want. Start with a sharp bend in a single piece of wire, solder to reinforce, file, polish. You might also try: Solder two pieces of wire together at the desired angle, forge, do some filing, than saw the joint apart along the length, re-solder to refine the point, file, polish. Don’t leave the point so sharp that it does damage. Remember that there is no one right way to do many things, you just need to find your way…Rob

3 Likes

@rmeixner

Thank you…I really needed to hear those simplistic, yet inspiring words of wisdom!

Yes the points are a bit much. Not a very good photo of what I had pictured in my mind’s eye. Just the first thing that popped up and me being impatient and all…I posted another photo of more of what I had in mind. Here’s more.

Would your advice still apply when it comes to the angles achieved in the photos above?
Thank you again. So so much.

As previously suggested, you might try filing a wide notch in the wire first before you bend the wire closing the notch and then solder the notch. For smaller elements, I usually just close the two pieces of wire until the ends meet. Place a flat file upright in my vise, open the joint enough to allow it to fit over the file under tension and then carefully work the piece up and down filing both sides of the joint until it is filed evenly enough so that when you solder it you have your point. Use an equally file if you have one. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

The last few you posted are not nearly as sharp as the points in the first photo. These last ones are just wires cut or filed to an approximate angle and then soldered with a significant filet of solder at the point. So that’s relatively simple, once you get enough practice under your belt.
The best way to get an acute angle between two wires or bits of sheet or plate is to first file a groove with a four square file. This will get you to roughly a right angle. Then after closing the angle you saw into that fine gap which will remove metal equally from each side. Then close it a bit more, saw again, close it, etc. until the angle you want it achieved. Takes practice as if you saw too deep the small amount of metal at the point will break in two. Also it’s much harder to do for wires than for sheet, as wires are more difficult to hold during the process.
If you could find a miter-cutting jig that had slots for 30° angles that would be a help, but I don’t know of one. You could make your own from a piece of hardwood that will hold the wires at angles you like. If you know a hobby machinist it would be a fun project to make in steel.

2 Likes

If you mean bends more like my ring, it’s simple. Gep very fine needle nose pliers. Twist it as close to what you want. Use delrin faced parallel pliers to make the sharp bend. This will leave the metal with no sharp edges. I’ve made these for decades. I did demos on stage during the Utah Shakespeare Festival doing old Renissance metal work. For the sharp defined v bends I agree with what’s been said.

1 Like

Darn it wouldn’t let me up load my ugly hand with the ring.

I make some wire work pieces that are very symmetrical with some wrapping of smaller gauged wires. I will build an appliance to hold the pieces in place and slightly stretch the main body frame wire. This holds and hardens the main frame while I do the wrapping with lighter gauged annealed wire. I purposely avoid such intense points on my work but when I have done them they were made by mitering, soldering, and filing.

I think with a properly formed swaging block you could anneal the wire and then forge and then file the points you are looking for.

Don Meixner

1 Like

These are very pretty, but look dangerous to wear. As pendants, they would hang down if you bent over, and if you fell, I think you could easily be impaled! As rings, you could easily catch on things of stab people…there are safer designs…-royjohn

Sorry, equaling file…Rob

yup me too! I wonder what happens if you hug someone ( in a non Covid time, of course) and you impale them with your pendant!! yikes