How To Make Ear Wires

you always have amazing advice!! thanks for sharing
from one of the silent readers :slight_smile:

You are a diamond for me someone just learning :grinning:

It hardens the wire from dead soft (annealed) so the wire holds itā€™s shape.:slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge Rob. I love this method and looking forward to trying it! :blush:

Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge here, about ear wire making and so many other topics. It is much appreciated!

thank you for passing on your knowledge and in pdf. that was the added bonus. i am a newby, maryā€¦

Thank you, your pdf is wonderfully clear and easy to follow, I look forward to any more you do.
Many Thanks Christine

Great tutorial! Would never have thought to make 2 at once, have always made them singularly and then spend ages trying to get them to match.
Keep up the good work.

Jo, (and Rob), would either of you be willing to show your jigs and anchor points? Iā€™d be most grateful

1 Like

This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing.
Could you please provide a close up of the modified pliers?
Many thanks,
Ingeborg

Thanks for sharing. Often I am doing a repair that involves creating a matching 1/2 pair of wires, to match an existing half pair.

I do like the idea of making a pair in such a simple process, which never crossed my mind. When making pairs I always made 1, and then made a mate for it.
Your method is far simpler and more direct!

Following is a link to pictures of my modified pliers and old earring wire jigs. I find ways to use PVC all over my shopā€¦Rob

2 Likes

Thanks for your instructionalā€¦very clearly presentedā€¦mucho thanks

Please continue with these concise instructions. I love to see different ways to do things.

BTW, I am going to see if I can make a similar vacuum port. I have one that hangs from my bench pin bracket but it gets in my way and keeps me from using my GRS viceā€“it was an unfortunate early purchase when I first started making jewelry. Thanks for that tip!

Best wishes!

hey there robā€¦ a wave from collingwood, ontario, canada.

Hi back! We love to visit Kingston when you will have usā€¦Thanksā€¦Rob

Amen!

I know Iā€™m replying to an old post but I wanted to weigh in. YES please keep sharing as much as youā€™re able. Iā€™m learning at home by myself, and even before the pandemic I didnā€™t have access to in-person learning due to financial and time constraints. (My dream is to go to Bennet Street School here in Boston, but thatā€™s a long way off.)
When I opened your earwire tutorial, I realized it looked familiar. I ran across it through a link quite a while ago, probably on Pinterest- and Iā€™ve been using this method ever since!
So thank you for sharing your expertise. I literally would not be able to do this without this type of generosity. And Iā€™ll gently contradict you- youā€™ve got lots of people to teach.

2 Likes

I am happy to share what I can. I am also very happy to be on the receiving end of these transactions, so donā€™t be shy about sharing. Sometimes the simplest idea to you is a revelation to another person. Joā€™s recent suggestion about using a dapping die to straighten out jump rings is an example. I am on my way to my shop right now to try itā€¦Rob

1 Like

Hi! Iā€™m in now in Marlborough-and used to teach at StonyBrook Arts in JP. Bennet Street was a dream I had too - I am lucky I found a mentor in NH that travels to MA periodically - saved me thousands.
I use a fine point sharpie as my ā€œforming toolā€ for my ear wires. I also have a dental tool with a handle that works great (itā€™s surg steel) when Iā€™m forming titanium ear wires.
:grin:
Lori

2 Likes