How to keep bezels from cracking when filing

When I make my bezels from bezel wire and file it after soldering it closed, it often splits. I think it is from the pressure of my hand holding it. How do you hold your bezel so this doesn’t happen.

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, i just saw this post…

if i am not mistaken, when you correctly solder a seam closed, the solder alloy and the metal alloy mix together at the interface…and creates a third alloy…the metals become one (forgive the non technical description). my point is that the solder is not like glue that sticks the two metals together…the metals kind of become one…

the above may not happen if the seam is soldered incorrectly…metal not clean, metal not brought to correct temp, or temp not held long enough…etc

if your seams are splitting, try experimenting with your soldering technique until the seams stop splitting…i do not think it is from finger pressure…?

also, what solder are you using?…try hard solder…

i have had metal tear around a solder seam, without the solder seam failing…(when pulling with parallel pliers)…

julie

Is it step bezel wire? You may be filing the narrower part of the bezel that you eventually move over the stone too much. You might want to hold off doing any finishing to the seam until you have to as subsequent soldering operations can pull solder out of the seam even if you use hard solder on the seam. It is also a good idea to anneal the bezel after you have formed it, but before soldering. I can move around a bit if not annealed first and change shape. I suppose that it could move enough to impact the quality of the joint. You might also look at your solder and make sure that it is clean and that you are using enough flux. Lastly, for now, if you get the hard solder too hot, you may cause a weakness resulting in a fracture. Lots going on here. The best thing is to practice controlling for these different variables. Good luck…Rob

1 Like

Hi,

ok, i went to the book, “The Theory and Practice Of Goldsmithing” by Erhard Brepohl, page 294/4…to refresh my memory on the technical process of soldering…

here are a few quotes that explain the process…

It says that “Pieces of metal are permanently joined in a process called soldering, in which metal material (solder) is melted and flows into the structure of the heated parts through capillary action, where it unites the pieces by diffusion”

and that “the parent metal is heated to a temperature at which its grain structure is open, allowing the solder to be drawn into the microscopic openings by capillary action as soon as it is fluid”

and that “the solder dissolves the metal it is attaching, creating the situation in the diagram, in which a new alloy (part solder and part parent metal) is formed along the edges of the seam.

It goes on to discuss solder types, issues from over and under heating, fluxes, fit, clean surfaces, etc…

The Brepohl book is my go to book! I highly recommend it!

julie

1 Like