Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

How to clean solder picks

My solder pics are a mess. How does one go about cleaning them up? What’s wrong with that thank you in advance. Christina butchko

Hi Christina

Unless I am missing something I don’t treat solder picks as anything special. I look at solder picks as disposable. As such I sand or file the surfaces down to a fresh surface and when the become unusable I break out a new one. I get them at Harbor Freight so it isn’t a heart break to toss them. I also will make a new one now and then out of 1/8" x 1/8" steel stock.

Don

3 Likes

Oh so very cool. Maybe I was looking for the permission to just throw them out. I am going to take a look at Harbor freight. Thank you Don

1 Like

Harbor Freight has a package they call probes or something similar. They are six or so stainless handles with various points. If you asked, “Where is the soldering picks at?” I think you might get a blank stare.

D

4 Likes

Thanks for the thumbs up, Don

I use the Hook and Pick set as well as the Test Probe set. The Tweezers Set is a great source for disposable interlocking tweezers. They are cheap and you get what you pay for. Hence the frequent use of disposable.

Don

4 Likes

I usually just grind off the old flux, etc. Either on a belt sander or with a coarse file.

Please excuse any typos-- curse my clumsy digits…

5 Likes

That works for me too. My picks are just sharpened titanium wire stuck into a hole drilled into the end of a piece of dowel…Rob

3 Likes

Steel solder pics can get ‘dirty’ with flux and solder. Either way, just grind off the mess with a Mizzy or similar wheel with any kind of rotary tool (flexshaft, etc.) or manually stone it off. I use several different kinds of titanium solder pics. solder does not adhere toTitanium, so the only stuff I have to clean off periodically is flux. Rio: https://www.riogrande.com/searchresults#q=titanium%20solder%20pick&t=products&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=36

From Otto frei Search results for "solder%20picks"

From PepeTools:

3 Likes

Where do you get your titanium wire? Thanks, Penny

I clean them with baking soda and a scrubber. I also take a rough sandpaper (80 grit) and scrub off the residue.

2 Likes

I think from Rio, but I am sure others sell it too. Probably 18 gauge…Rob

2 Likes

I use titanium picks. I stick them in the pickle when they get “fluxy” and wipe them down with a towel.

1 Like