Help with Spirig torch

Does someone own a Spirig torch that would be willing to give me a hand? I was out of my studio for 3 months due to illness and now my torch is giving me trouble. I can’t seem to regulate the flame and it’s way too big. I figured it needed some time to settle in, so I left it on (which I do when I’m working anyway) and the lit torch burnt right through my #20 tip.
Don’t even suggest talking to Spirig technical support. My last interaction with them when I asked for advice on using the torch with silver was less than helpful. Basically I got told that the issue was me, not the torch, if I could not solder silver. A lot of arrogance, very little help.
So just wondering if there are any Spirig torch owners who can walk me through how to get this torch to regulate the flame after it’s been out of use for a while.

Finally found it. Looks like a hydrogen torch. I can’t help you with that, but possibly others can. The only suggestion is to clean the tips. Since they were in storage there may be something in them that doesn’t belong there. I use my ultrasonic on my normal gas and O2 tips. Good luck…Rob

I’ve never used this torch either. Where did you buy it? From a jewelry tool company? If so, most every jewelry tool company has a technical support department. You can contact them.

I did a quick Google search. You’re right. There’s not much info out there on this torch.

Like Rob said, this torch looks like a hydrogen generator torch. You can research other hydrogen generator torches to see if there’s comparable suggestions.

Sorry that I’m not more help!!

Jeff

Cheryl,

what you have is a Spirflame microflame generator, invented, patented and made by Ernest Spirig in Switzerland.

You may find information on this excellent tool on: Spirflame® Microflame.

When I participated in exhibitions in the U.S. more frequently in the past, I was even acquainted with the U.S. representative of Spirig - as far as I know he retired some years ago.

The Spirig website says, that there’s a fully stocked warehouse in the U.S., still.

In your case, I guess that your generator is in need of a maintenance or supplies, in order to generate an adjustable but constant amount of gas.

Sandor

Ti-Research
member of
MJSA

Thanks Sandor,
To answer all questions, purchased from Spirig USA directly, tip is clean (I used a new tip). These are fussy torches for sure, and I do know they want to be used and don’t like sitting around. I doubt the machine needs maintenance as it is not that old and doesn’t have many hours on it, but if it does need maintenance that’s kinda what I need to know as I won’t be shipping it to head office. The unit weighs close to 50 lbs and I am in Canada.

This is the torch. Spirflame® Microflame Generator

Cheryl,

after consulting your Spirflame Owners manual, most likely your best option is to Contact the Spirig office USA.

I’d expect the experts to be savvy enough to track and identify the cause for your problem during a technical conversation. This will clarify if you are in need of a spare part or a service.

I have no clue about shipping cost and customs in between Canada and the U.S. but your tiny workhorse may well be worth the cost if there’s no service in Canada.

Sandor

Ti-Research
member of
MJSA

1 Like

Thank you