Help with Durston Rolling Mill

Hi All! I need to order an 8,6,3 half-round extension mill for my Durston rolling mill. I emailed them a month ago and was told there were two different products and that I needed to submit pictures of my mill to determine which extension would be the one for my mill. Well, I did that. . .4 times and finally got confirmation they had been received several weeks later. Despite numerous emails to them and even a long distance phone call, I was given assurance that they’d send me an answer by the end of the day on Tuesday, I still haven’t heard anything. I’ve sent a follow up email which has also gone unanswered and I’m honestly at a loss as to how on earth to get an answer anymore. Is anyone here familiar enough with the Durston product line to help me out or should I just give up and have the part machined here? 4 weeks of emails to try to order a simple part that should take 1 minute to determine. I’ve never had to deal with Durston customer service, but after 20 years of otherwise singing their praises, this has been an absolutely souring experience.
Thanks for any help you can offer!

Note From Ganoksin Staff:
Looking for a rolling mill tool for your jewelry projects? We recommend:

@durston or @Durston_Rolling_Mill can assist I am sure…

Thanks Seth! I appreciate the help!

I would try to order the extension through Rio or one of the other companies that sell their mill. They will be certain to know how to prod Durston into action!
Aurora

Durston is in England. I went through the same experience several years ago trying to order a V groove extension. They showed it on their website. After many tries to get their attention, it was determined that the cost of bringing it to the US was more than the cost of the extension. I also tried to go through Rio, but they could never identify a PN. I finally solved the problem by having a local machinist machine V grooves in the smooth roller for my economy mill that the Durston replaced. It works well and only cost about $50…Rob

Well, I thought I’d post an update here. It’s been 5 days since I made one final attempt to contact Durston to order the part I needed. I contacted them via their website, a direct email address, Facebook, and this forum and haven’t heard a thing. I can’t tell you how disappointing that is from a supposedly reputable company. With all the money I’ve spent on Durston tools and the times I’ve talked up their product, this has been utterly frustrating. I generally avoid posting negative stuff (reviews and such), but at this point I think people should know the way they treat customers. . .and I’ll I wanted to do was order a part from them. I can’t imagine what would’ve happened if I had some sort of warranty issue. Yeesh.

Now it’s time to find a local machine shop. . .

Hey Erich - Matthew just emailed me asking me to post this…

Dear Erich, Sorry for the delayed reply. We are working on this now. Will answer you now.
Kind Regards, Matthew Durston, Tel: 44 1494 53538, Mob: 07711 393100

1 Like

It is a mystery how a place that makes such great tools can be so difficult to deal with after the fact. As I posted earlier, I had the same exact experience when I was trying to buy an extension roller for my then new DRM C130…Rob

Thanks Seth. . .I just got an email from him as well and will update the forum in a moment. Thanks so much for the help!

Erich

Hi All again!

I wanted to put one more update on here. I finally received a reply from Durston and, to their credit, it was very apologetic for the delays and included an explanation for them as well. They gave me the part number I needed and also included a significant discount/coupon to help compensate me for the month delay which was very much appreciated. I just wanted to share that here since they did what they could to make up for the lack of communications which goes a long way in my book. Thanks Durston!

Erich

Howdy @ErichCDesigns1 - I am really glad to hear that! I’ve now had dealings with Durston for several years. It’s a longstanding family company that makes the very best stuff and handles everything internally. That’s the reason the product is so good. But it also means that sometimes they get busier than a pair of jumper cables in a Home Depot parking lot :slight_smile: He’s a good man and it’s a great business - I am glad this got resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.

I’m glad too! When I first contacted them, I got a timely reply, but everything from then on out was largely ignored. . .which was really odd. It seems, as you mentioned, that they are busier than “a pair of jumper cables in a Home Depot parking lot” (Nice one by the way! :laughing:) prepping for the Vegas show along with getting a whole bunch of new equipment online. I really appreciated Matthew’s email. . .that really goes a long way as I often rank customer service over the product (I can deal with a bad product, but I can’t deal with bad customer service). Thanks again for the help. . .you guys rock!

Erich

Note From Ganoksin Staff:
Looking for a rolling mill tool for your jewelry projects? We recommend:

1 Like