Height of a bezel

Hello! I have a steep stone, and would like to have some advice from you experiences metalsmiths.
I’m afraid I filed the bezel too low. Would you advice me to sand the back of the stone (it’s a backed turquoise) in order to have more bezel to bend over the stone? Thank you very much!

1 Like

To me it looks like you still have a millimeter of metal to push over…but if you want more definitely sand back of stone! I grind back stones or add bits and pieces underneath when needed to go either up or down :slight_smile:

2 Likes

also, from this angle it looks like you are at the point where the stone tapers, so the metal you have should hold nicely when pushed down. Good luck!

3 Likes

I agree that your bezel height looks almost perfect as is. Once the top edge is rolled over and burnished, your bezel should very securely hold that stone, while hiding very little of it.

3 Likes

Thank you very much and also @ ringdoctor! I sanded the back of the stone and it was perfect! Yes I needed almost 0,8 mm
Thanks a lot again!

8 Likes

I didn’t see this post earlier. I cut a lot of fairly straight walled stones creating the same concern that you expressed when it is time to set them. My bezels are usually fairly thick, so I can punch bezel material into places that I might not be able to just roll it into if it were thinner. It looked like you could have rolled the bezel edge by just removing a bit of material from the back just at the bottom of the stone and then tapering to none of the back at the top. Now that you are done, it is a nice piece and you should be proud of it. Thanks for sharing…Rob

2 Likes

Thank you very much Rob! I usually use thicker bezels, this one was an exception. So yes, I could fortunately sand the back and I didn’t need to chamfer a lot. I must confess I did sweat when I realized I had filed the bezel down too much! S and happy Easter, :hatching_chick: Christine

Nice work.

1 Like

While cats have been said to approve of none of them, there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for your kind appreciation!
Yes as you say!! :grin: but I can’t show that to my cat :cat2:

3 Likes