Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Heavy wall copper tubing

I’m on the hunt for heavy wall copper tubing and am having a tough time finding it in short lengths other than Amazon but I need it sooner than a month out. I need it in 4,5 and 6mm lengths with a wall thickness of 1 to 1.5mm Can anyone help me out? I would appreciate it! Thank you :blush:

Your best bet would be to get longer lengths and the cut to the lengths desired. What od are you looking for? And hard or soft?

1 Like

Yeah, you’re most likely going to need to cut it yourself. As for other sources, try local hobby shops or plumbing/home renovation suppliers. You can use a jeweler’s saw, or there’s a little gadget that clamps onto the tube and you twist it around, gradually tightening, and that works pretty nicely too- though it does tend to distort the end a bit so with that I cut it a couple mm long and file it down.

1 Like

hi

what about getting close and drawing it down…?

onlinemetals.com has wall thickness of

.049”= 1.24mm
.065”= 1.65mm

with OD of
.25”= 6.35mm
.3125”= 8mm

available starting at 12” length

julie

2 Likes

I would try a local scrap dealer. My local guy has copper sitting in a barrel and will sell it to me…I got some copper pipe to make bracelets out of last month. I think there was tubing there at the time…-royjohn

1 Like

The best way to cut this small dia tubing is probably a small chop saw. Harbor Depot has a 2" model for $40 and for $10 more you can get a 6" there. That little 2" unit is actually pretty good. Adam Savage did a great YouTube video on them.

1 Like

If you’re doing a lot of it, sure.

1 Like

Yup!

I’ll probably end up getting one. I’m a sucker for tools.

1 Like

You don’t mention what diameter you need. That makes a difference as to where you would be able to source it.

1 Like

Copper tubing comes in a number of hardnesses and wall thicknesses. Have you considered going to a plumbing supply for the metal? If for nothing more than removing them from your search if they can’t supply. If it is available you will likely have to cut it yourself. I use one of the small HF chop saws which works OK. A band saw would do the job as will a jeweler’s saw. My brother has a mini lathe that would work even better. Good luck with the hunt.

Don

2 Likes

McMaster-Carr is one of the go-to suppliers for industry. They carry copper tubing in a variety of diameters and wall thicknesses. You’ll still need to cut the lengths yourself, or job it out to a metals shop.

3 Likes

I have purchased from McMaster-Carr several times and they are a great resource…Rob

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! Believe it or not I went to trusty old Amazon and much to my surprise I found 12 inch pieces in a variety pack of 3,4,5,and 6mm with 1mm wall. They even had brass. I want to use this in my sterling silver pieces to add color.

2 Likes

I have ordered from McMaster-Carr many times. They have never let me down. Their website is amazing; surpassed only by their great yellow catalog.

1 Like

Copper pipe comes in 3 wall thickness K,L,M and DWV. Copper tubing the same but softer in roll shape. K is the heaviest then on down, DWV is for drain,waste and vent. Yep to much information. A pipe cutter is best for square cuts. MTC retired master plumber

1 Like

Ditto on plumbing material -it’s doable.

I use a pipe cutter and it’s the easiest way - . One problem is the extra line it engraves into the shape. Good news it does have some aesthetic - bad news is you cannot sand it out.

hi kristine!
yay!

could you share the link?

julie