Thanks for the input, everyone ; we have everything from
(paraphrasing) ’ yeah just google it and do whatever, dumbass’ to
the other extreme (some offline, more paraphrasing) of ’ be very
careful, get a baseline test, consult your doctor(s), etc.’. For me,
the prudent thing to do is get a test, since I had already discussed
that with my (holistic M.D.) doc last year. My inclination is to self
-medicate, but in this situation, I don’t think it’s wise.
I do know that I’ve ingested fair amounts of metals over the years,
I just don’t know how much has been eliminated. Some of the fun ways
I’ve taken in toxic metals are as follows. Burning lines in food
cans with a fine-pointed, oxidizing flame on an oxy-acet torch. I
made boatloads of tin-can candleholders with the torch I got for my
14th B-day. The solder on the cans was probably tin but may have
been lead back in the early 70’s for all I know. Cutting and welding
galvanized pipe, vaporizing and inhaling zinc fumes in the process.
Melting and handling lead, used as malleable dapping blocks at home
and work (working for the jeweler that 14th summer).
Never mind the copious use of flaky asbestos as soldering pads well
into the late 70’s; that’s another thread. Using cadmium-bearing
silver solder with no ventilation at a couple of sweat shops I worked
in. The kind of place --very common in the NM jewery manufacturing
industry around that time – that didn’t particularly know,care, or
do anything about toxic work environments. Most of these nefarious
adventures happened while I was a much younger, much more self
-destructive person, less informed and less concerned about long
term effects of anything.
Anyway, that’s some of the how-and-why… now that I’ve lived well
past what I used to think I’d even want to, I suppose it might be
time to look further into what’s lurking around inside. I’ve done a
whole lot of cleaning up of the wreckage of my former (so-called)
life (drug,alcohol,& tobacco -free for 20 years) but it seems that
there’s always something more to do !.