Has anyone burned out Nylon (Monofilament fishing line)?

I was curious if anyone has tried burning out monofilament fishing line which is a type of nylon.

I’m going to assume that since it’s a synthetic/man-made material, it will probably leave ash. From what I’ve read, it seems that most plastics leave ash, but I assumed that was from being petroleum based. I’m not sure if Nylon will leave ash or not. I will give it a shot but was wondering if anyone already knows the answer.

Ash could be blown out, but of course is better to avoid if possible.

Thanks,

Rick

Not exactly the same thing but 9 years ago I was experimenting with lots of different materials. Organics mostly: bugs, leaves, wood, etc. mostly with very good results. I then found a set of Cowboys and Indians made out of some form of synthetic material. Bendable ugly green. I had ordered them from a comic bool mail order ad some 55 years earlier. I thought I would like to pass them on some day so I decided to try to invest one and burn out and cast in sterling (vacuum cast) it worked so well with a very long high temp burnout cycle that I ended up doing a complete set for my only grandson. When I sent them to him recently he was thrilled. What a joy to know that history and posterity has bee preserved. Here is a picture in a cigar box presentation case I constructed.

5 Likes

I have cast plastic Easter eggs and even the two parts pop together when you lightly sand down the locking lip on them. Also cast old 35mm film canisters.
Have fun!
Vasken.

1 Like

I’ve never seen such nice ones, even in plastic! Good job!

Noël