Handmade Adjustable Ring Shanks

Hi all, I would love to know a good length for an adjustable ring shank like the one pictured (artist - Artur Jarosz)

I have reached out to Artur and am still awaiting a response, however I thought it would be great to get feedback from others as well!

It seems like such a great idea as some of my clients have different ring sizes in summer vs winter (me included!)

Look forward to getting some feedback!

Cheers
Gillian

3 Likes

Just by eyeballing this image it appears the ‘extra’, that which overlaps the solderjoint to be about 1/6th of the length. For a recent commission, a long distance design of a ring, I made three rings, each 1/2 size larger and smaller than our long distance measure. Each of those rings with a 1/2 size difference required about 1 maybe two centimeters. So depending on width of band and size of knuckles and contrasting thinner fingers I’m thinking the one pictured would have a very broad range of possible sizes. Hope that helps, and I’ll follow this to see what other ideas and experience folx have. TX

2 Likes

I am old enough to remember adjustable rings that you might get from a gumball machine. A lot of rings start out that way until they are sized. Just make one out of copper or brass and figure out what looks right. I offer a bit of caution. While this method of construction may serve the purpose that you want to serve, you won’t find it on nicer finished pieces. There could be a safety issue with it as the ring could be easily crushed into the wearer’s finger. It might also be easier to get off if that were the case. Doing a lot of resizing will harden the metal and it may eventually break. Good luck…Rob

5 Likes

Thanks so much for your input! Yes I am thinking perhaps a ring with only 3 sizes might be a better option actually…

1 Like

Thank you for your input! I agree, the aesthetic of adjustable rings is a bit clunky and doesn’t lend itself to fine jewelry. And I see your point with moving the metal back and fourth it may eventually break. A few things to consider if I go down that path.

1 Like

I have been making more adjustable rings lately in the tradition of the Mid-Century Modernist silver rings. Many of the rings from Europe and North America throughout the 20th Century were adjustable of one style or another. I think if they are well made they might become popular again.

3 Likes

Can you post samples or direct me to an online resource of examples? Thanks…Rob

If you go to Rubylane.com or Etsy and search Modernist adjustable ring you will see a variety of examples.

1 Like

Wow, I just spent way too long browsing on Ruby Lane! Thanks for the recommendation, there were lots of great examples on there and lots of vintage pieces I now want to buy :see_no_evil::sweat_smile::heart_eyes:

1 Like

An absolute rabbit hole. Welcome to the club.

1 Like

While I enjoy fine jewelry, I’m relieved to see adjustables being offered. For those of us with knuckles a bit bigger, most rings end up turning despite numerous solutions on the market. Even a quarter ring size difference makes some rings wearable.

1 Like

True! There is a list of pro’s for going down the adjustable path that’s for sure.