Hand making a lobster clasp

So I just finished making a great chain with a design on it and all the end pieces and I’m to the last part which is I want to hand create a Lobster Claw, but I can’t find anything anywhere that has images or guide on the shapes and things I need to draw out and cut. I’ve got all these expensive books and not one of them says anything about lobster claws even the clip complete metalsmith one. Anybody have any advice on where I can go? I don’t really need a video per se I just need to see an image of what I need to fabricate.

You can find images of this finding with a Google search. However, taking an actual finding apart will give you a real 3D understanding the claw’s engineering. The cost of sacrificing a claw will more than pay you back with the knowledge of its design.

1 Like

Hi Kimberly and Jeff,
The problem I see with making a lobster clasp is that it’s kind of complicated and the spring is probably steel. Making a spring from silver is probably do-able, but fiddly. I know this is somewhat off topic, but Tim McCreight has some clasps that are easy to make from wire and/or sheet in his classic book, The Complete Metalsmith. The ones I am thinking of are handmade and locking and compatible with a handmade esthetic, which is why I bring them up in this discussion. A possible alternative? -royjohn

1 Like

Thats what i did.

I have that book. Im doing a lobster clasp become its right for this necklace and pendant i mads. Plus, i challenge myself to learn to do things.

1 Like

I don’t have a feeling that a “spring” sterling wire will hold up to the use a lobster claw will see.
Spring steel wire, sometimes known as piano wire, will do the trick. You’ll find this available on Industrial Supply websites or, conveniently, in a decent art supply store, where it is usually displayed with model building supplies. Guitar strings are another possibility, though you’ll be looking for a fine wire gauge.
If you’ve disassembled a claw finding, you’ll see the gauge used and how it is wound, installed and in which direction the coil needs to squeeze.

1 Like