Great video for seasoning a new crucible/ preparing a new crucible

I was on YouTube and came across this great video showing how to season or prepare a new crucible.

It is on Kevin Potter’s channel (Potter USA hydraulic presses, pancake dies, etc) and is being narrated by jeweler Joni Kisro.

I usually sprinkle in/ use Borax powder flux, but Joni instead liberally brushed paste flux (Handy Flux was used in this demo) all over the inside of the crucible, as well as the rim and outside. She also started by heating the crucible from underneath. I was impressed with how quickly and evenly the paste flux glazed the crucible. I will be sure to try this method the next time I season a crucible.

I thought I would share this video here for anyone who might be interested in watching.

Also, I read somewhere, that when melting down (sterling silver) that it was a good idea to pre-heat the crucible before adding the metal…the theory being that you reduce the amount of time the metal is subjected to the flame/ heat/ oxygen. thereby reducing the potential for oxides forming in the metal melt. Has anyone found this to be the better way to melt metal?.

Remember, safety first, take all precautions.

Julie

I have a few issues with the video.
She took a very hot flame too close to the cold crucible. A good way to
crack a new crucible.
The same really hot flame was taken too close to the silver. A good way to
burn the metal and increase fire scale. Less oxygen in the flame… fewer
oxides.
She did not pickle or forge the ingot before rolling which is why there are
cracks all along the sides after rolling and the metal was black. There
was no pripps or boric acid and alcohol coating on the metal before
annealing thus more fire scale.
I suppose I should sign this one as
Mrs. Picky Pants
Have fun and make lots of jewelry.
Jo Haemer
www.timothywgreen.com

6 Likes

Hello Jo,

Thank you so much for your sage commentary to this video. This is why I so love Orchid!

@jo_haemer
(do you think the Handy Flux is an acceptable flux? or is Borax preferable in your opinion?..)

(do you think pre-heating the crucible, before putting the metal in, is a good idea in your opinion?..)

Julie

Pre heating the crucible is a good idea. Best done in a kiln if possible. A
pre heated crucible shortens the amount of time the metal has to have a
torch on it thus reducing oxides. I’ve never tried a paste flux for
seasoning my crucibles. Just Borax.
Jo

1 Like