Glazing a crucible

Hi,

i was watching a 3 part video series on youtube, discussing sand casting (sent to me by the amazing team at Otto Frei!)

in the part 2 video below, at around the 2 minute mark, the instructor is fixing a bare spot on an already glazed crucible

she pours in a little bit of a liquid “boraxin solution” (boric acid is called boraxin where she is from)

does anyone here do this? do you know what else is in the solution?…water?

it is interesting in how it bubbles up and coats the whole crucible…seems like an efficient way to get a more uniform initial coverage than just sprinkling in dry powder…

if anyone has more info on this technique i woukd be very interested to learn more about it…i struggle with glazing my crucibles…although i think my main problem is not enough heat…

julie

2 Likes

I use a cheap restaurant salt shaker. It gets the borax where I want it to go or evenly coat the entire surface of the crucible…Rob

1 Like

Hi,

so, boraxin is NOT the same as Boric Acid…it appears to be a bit more hazardous…

regarding the boraxin solution, i was reading the video comments and she said she buys it “ready made”…i found this msds sheet for boraxin…which lists the ingredients…they seem more hazardous than the flux i am currently using…i will stick with that…or borax…

julie

1 Like

This is interesting to me…perhaps someone here has a solution. The other day I used my crucible to melt 18k filings. There was a spot on my crucible that was not glazed and I failed to notice. Now there is a rather large chunk of the crucible embedded in my gold. Any suggestions how to effectively remove it so that I can roll out my gold? Thanks in advance for any help

The safest way will be to get a new crucible and glaze it properly and then remelt with a bit of Borax.
The crucible parts will float away with the Borax.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the solution.I tried re melting in my damaged crucible but the crucible bits just stayed on the surface of the melted gold and I struggled to remove all of it. Will try again