Gemlight Box Pro

I have the Gem Light Box. Not the pro- it wasn’t on the market 8 or so years ago. I love it and I recommend it. After I finish a piece, I set it up in the Gem Light Box using the white support structures. You use their smartphone app. One adjustment to remove the backdrop. In less than 5 minutes, and only one pass through the app and on to the big screen on the PC, the job is done.
Put it on a product page of your website, with white background and it will work right away, albeit without a drop shadow.
I sometimes send the image files to the GemLightBox company and they re-touch them for about $5 each. They use a fill pattern on smooth areas of full polished silver which I like well enough. They once filled in a hole in an area of reticulation, but the hole was real and purposeful. Very funny and easy to fix.
They now include “sparklers” which help to light gemstones. Anyone can tell you that getting good images of faceted gems with attractive color is hard. The sparkler is intended to address that.

I tried many times to get a repeatable setup using photo floods and other tents and diffusers. I asked all around read books and articles. Most instructions Andes with something like”…and then you just play around with it to get what you want.” My least favorite words. What I always wanted was to get back to the bench and work on metals.

1 Like

Nice pictures!..Rob

Update
I ended up purchasing the Gemlight Box Pro and the Gemcam camera.
It is quite expensive, however so far I am really happy it. It takes as good or better pictures than I could with my Nikon DSLR and lightbox in 1/3 the time. It also automatically takes four pictures from different angles when taking a video. This comes in handy since I selling on the site 1st Dibs. They require a minimum for 4 shots from different angles per post. The video helps sell as well.
I certainly still can’t take the quality of photos a professional photographer can but they are good enough. In the long run the amount of money I will save will more than pay for the purchase price. Here are some examples of what I’ve been able to accomplish so far.
Lynn Kathyrn Miller

2 Likes