Garnet Sand Grit?

Does anyone know what size grit is best to use for soldering stations (positioning pieces, etc)? I know Rio used to carry it way-back-when, but their supplies are now geared towards blasting media. There are industrial garnet sands from 80 to 150 grit, with the latter seemingly more appropriate due to lack of abrasiveness, but just want to make sure and get some opinions.

Thank you :]

Hi,

Perhaps this soldering grain would serve your needs? I have some and it is quite handy!

Julie

Position smaller parts in this fine reflective silicon carbide soldering grain. Odorless and re-usable, grain can be used wet (as a heat sink) or dry (to position parts). This product is designed for use with smaller, more delicate jobs; the force of a large torch flame will displace the material and interfere with its effectiveness. Non-contaminating; ideal for use with non-ferrous alloys. One package will fill a 7" annealing pan.

Catalog page: 2016-2017 Tools and Equipment Catalog p.476
This is a Rio Grande Exclusive.

1 Like

I’ve never gotten the hang of using soldering grain. In theory it seems like a good idea, since I’m always trying to support something tipsy. But the only time I tried it the piece fell over anyway and it got all over my paste solder and I had to clean everything off and start over. Obviously there’s something I’m not doing right. And don’t say using paste solder.

Janet Kofoed

I assume this is the case if it’s not wet packed and being careless?..

I have a big tub of garnet sand. It is very fine. I add water and make a dough like mess out of it. I can position anything I want to solder in it. That is if I want to take the time to make the mess. Usually I just use a bunch of old knives from garage sales.