Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Fusing silver safety


#1

Since fusing requires close control of temperature, I have a lot
more success fusing at night, outdoors. That way I can see the
silver changing color and watch for the “flash”. Daylight, even
indirect, washes out the color.

Daylight wouldn’t be a problem if I were to work in a dark room, but
after reading the warnings about carbon monoxide, there’s no way I
am going to use the torch indoors.

Why doesn’t a gas range present a carbon monoxide hazard?

Janet


#2

Hi Janet, Carbon monoxide is only a problem if you don’t have proper
ventilation. Example: Your furnace can present a problem if the flue
is not clear and allows CO to accumulate in your house…everyone has
a furnace in there house. The same thing goes with your range.
Although there is not necessarily a hood or vent with a range, it is
usually in a large open area and not used 24hrs a day. CO detectors
are not expensive and they are recommended to accompany smoke
detectors in homes. A detector might also put your mind at ease
should you decide to work indoors with a torch.

Mark