Fume Extractor

I rent a small enclosed studio workspace that has NO means for ventilation to the outdoors. I work only with copper, bronze, sterling and fine silver. Currently I use only a butane torch (yeah, I know) with both wire and paste silver and copper solders.

Although I wear a respirator with combo fume/particle filters, I know that’s not ideal, so I’m looking at a self-contained fume extractor as an additional safety feature. SentryAir makes one for several thousand dollars that’s probably better, but I just saw this one from Otto Frei and wonder what you experienced folk think about it. Better than nothing or a waste of money?

https://www.ottofrei.com/Quatro-SPB-560-1T-K-SolderPure-Combo-Solder-Rhodium-Fume-Extractor

Hi Dan,

I was in your exact situation for a while and I used this: HAKKO Fume Extraction System with Duct Kit - RioGrande

It seemed to work very well, and was by far the most affordable fume extractor I found while researching. The one you are considering looks way better!

-Jenny

Hi,

I was just wondering…are you thinking of both a fume extractor for soldering fumes, etc…as well as a dust collector for bench polishing/ lathe polishing, etc…

Julie

I’m currently considering how to set up a fume extractor and dust collection in one because I’d like to avoid crowding my small studio. One idea I have so far is the get an in-line vent fan with a long flexible hose that I can set up on pulleys or bungees and place it close to one of my benches, depending on where I need it at the moment. Then put in a filter somewhere along the hose that would collect the dust. Does that sound like it might work or is there a better set up?

1 Like

Hi,

Have a peek in Jeffrey Herman’s shop…I seem to recall he had a similar flexible concept in use with his ducting…his studio is rather spacious, but you might get some ideas…regarding pulleys, bungies, etc…

Julie

1 Like

Thanks for responding, Jenny. I’ve seen this one too in my searching. How long did you use it?

Dan

Julie,

Particulates are easier to filter out. I’m more interested in a good gas/fume extractor to supplement my respirator which has combo fume/particulate filters.

Dan

1 Like

Ah yes, I’ve done my share of drooling over Jeffrey Herman’s workshop!

1 Like

I used it for about a year, but it still seems fine. I moved and have a window now, so it’s in storage.

1 Like

What an amazing shop. Thanks for sharing!

@DanViolette I made my own fume extractor system for around $100 that works awesome.

Heres the link to all the parts.
https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/27Q6YCA4Y6PFB?ref_=wl_share

Super easy to do (make sure you buy all parts w the same inches). Put your fume extractor at your soldering area a bit above it. Put on your ducting. Then add your inline booster fan (this one is strong and quiet and has a switch knob you can put wherever) add yoyr 2nd ducting, then assemble your portable air window kit and run your ducting out. Boom, youre all set up.

1 Like

Yes, of course it’s easy to make an inexpensive solution if you’ve got ventilation; but you missed the point of my original post where I have NO option for venting to the outside - a completely different animal and far more expensive.

1 Like

DanViolette,
I don’t have an inexpensive solution for self-ducting jewelry ventilation, but the building that my school’s jewelry program has lived in for 60ish years, just closed for two years of renovations. We had to move to a new school building where external ventilation isn’t possible. I think we bought almost every Quatro self-ducting product that they sell. Solder Pures, Gold Vaults, their Burnout Vent system, an acid fume extractor, and a whole room air purifier. I’ve learned way more than ever before about ductless ventilation. I don’t have any advice about how to build your own self-ducting ventilation units, but if you have any questions about Quatro’s self-ducting products feel free to reach out to me individually and I’ll answer any questions that I can.

All the best!
Jeff

1 Like

Sorry about that @DanViolette , i had no idea you could do that, so im curious to know also as my space is super small.

Hello Dan,
Since it’s been nine months since your original question, I wonder what you decided upon or whether this question is still open. -royjohn

1 Like

Clearly the best and least costly solution is venting to the outdoors for those with that option. My workspace is in a large warehouse type building where I have no access to venting outdoors. I use non/less toxic fluxes and solders; I use fans to blow the fumes away from my soldering area and I wear a respirator fitted with fume filters. It’s less than ideal; buying a good ductless fume extractor could be my next move - or moving my workshop to a place where I can vent to the outdoors.

Since the most dangerous particle sizes are less than one micron, filters that filter out down to 3 microns (or even 0.3 microns) are insufficient.