Fume Extraction for Single Bench

I’ve gone back through the archives for about 15 years, and I’m not clear on what is currently the best and most affordable fume extraction system for a single soldering bench in an small enclosed area.

I want to remove both fumes and particles from soldering, in particular, re-directing the soldering fumes away from me breathing them in.

From the current research I’ve done, and my price range restrictions, it looks like the HAKKO Fume Extraction System with Duct Kit (sold at Rio, among others, Item #: 500102), may be the best solution since it redirects fumes and has a HEPA filter system.

Could those of you who are much more knowledgeable than me comment on this - what that system will accomplish, versus what it won’t do, and any other options?

Thanks in advance,
Marcie Rae

Finding a way to duct the fumes out a window would be a much cheaper option. Some kind of funnel, cheap round duct (think dryer vent tubing) and a fan. Venting to the outside gets rid of all the pollutants, whereas any system that filters still leaves a little something in the room. Alternatively, a used HEPA vacuum from the thrift store might have a prefilter, HEPA filter and charcoal filter. You could run a duct into that. Check what’s quietest (dB rating). If you’re using a system that doesn’t vent outside, perhaps you can put the fan and motor in a closet somewhere to muffle the sound or build a box to house it for sound abatement.

Google and Amazon, etc. are your friends here…look for in line duct fan. Even allowing for a handyman to rig this up and cut a hole in your exterior wall or attach it to a board that fit in your window sash does not run you anywhere near the $800 price tag for what you are looking at…to be fair to Hakko, they have something that is $69.95, too, but not quite so efficient as the unit you reference. HTH, royjohn

You just need to move air away from your soldering bench. The more the better. This solution doesn’t have to be a packaged system for $800 with the recurring expense of filters from one of our trusty vendors (sorry Rio). It can be a nearby window with an exhaust fan. Add some way to collect the air and a little metal ducting (think drier vent) and a way to support the collection nozzle near your bench and all the better. You have the same problem with your polishing area, subject to the size of the work that you polish. I have a 900 CFM blower that pulls air through my polishing hood, a coarse filter to capture duff so I can recycle it and then it goes outside. My grinding bench uses what is known as a cyclone to collect and separate solids to be recycled (look at Oneida Air Systems). My soldering bench extraction hood is a cheap stove hood from Lowes that is vented directly outside. Since I am in the cellar, there is also a chimney effect drawing air out of my shop. Remember that all the air that you send elsewhere has been heated or cooled by your HVAC system. You don’t have to find all the solutions to your shop setup in a catalog. Use them to get ideas, ask questions like you already have and then use you imagination. There are lots of shop pictures on Orchid to help you figure this out. Look at my shop if you want to on my website. Good luck…Rob

MarcieRae, you are I are in exactly the same situation here. I also have looked at the Hakko system and the price and lack of outside venting is a concern. For me, putting a system through the wall will work because my shop is new construction. I am now concerned with the noise level of those inexpensive dryer vent type motors and the fact that when you remove air you must bring air in also. Fresh shop air is also important!
The conversation is always interesting when we discuss our shop set ups.

Hi I’ll try to attach photo of what I ordered. Have the fan, with a control switch only need to plug in to electrical outlet. No wiring by electrician! Do need to cut a hole in the wall. Added cost might be the hole saw…
Good luck,
Julie

2 Likes

I use a Benchtop Fume Extractor

It is $60 and uses a carbon filter.

I had a cheap desk fan and a sliding window. (Former restaurant building) it worked perfectly. Inclyding with the plating