Forming Ear wires

Hi! I’m a second semester student studying Art Jewelry at a local university, and I am trying to add detail to earwires: specifically adding metal or a bead to the earwire. When hammering the wire, what hammer is usually used to flatten the wire?

A smaller hammer. There are many ear wire designs. The most important thing about an ear wire is that it be easy to put on, comfortable and stay on. I make my own ear wires out of dead soft 18 gauge wire. I draw it to 20 gauge to get the right amount of hardness so that it can be formed easily, but stay formed. It is important that the sharp ends be made smooth. I do this with my pulse arc welder, but there are other ways to do this. When you add embellishments, you also add the possibility of sharp or uncomfortable edges. Hammering will harden the metal creating stress points and possibly create sharp edges that need to be polished. My goal when I make ear wires is a design that is simple, safe, easy to put on and stay on and able to be polished in a tumbler. Lots going on here other than the design aesthetic. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

A small cross-peen hammer will allow you to spread the wire in only a small area below the bead. Make sure the cross-peen is well polished and clean and back it with a polished anvil or bench block.

2 Likes

Hi,

A “goldsmiths hammer” is nice for this type of thing…

here are some beautiful ones, available in differene weights…one side is flat with a subtle crown (moves metal in both directions), the other is a cross pein (moves metal in one direction)

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind reply, and for the resources. I will definitely read the Rio Grande article “Hammers Demystified”. In spite of my desire for a new hammer, I think I will be better off by just practicing with the cross-peen I have. It’s tempting sometimes to think that a new tool will give me the skills I need.

1 Like

Hu,

How much does your hammer weigh?

also, you can shape and polish the face as desired…

julie

It’s a 4 ounce hammer. Too light?

Hi!

sounds like a good weight😁

julie

It becomes a matter of what you have and what you can get used to more than right or wrong. I still use my first hammer. It is a light ball peen hammer that I bought for $1 at a yard sale close to 50 years ago. Remember that you can modify the face(s) of most hammers to make them more to your needs or liking. Just remember that whatever marks are on the face of your hammer or forging surface will get transferred to whatever you are forging with them…Rob