Foredom flexshaft died :(

Is there anyone you may known that repairs them .I’m in upstate N.Y. but can ship her somewhere.Thankx

Why don’t you first of all contact Foredom. If they can’t help, let them give you ‘certified’ repair shop.

I’m Gerry, On my iPhone!

They are very simple to work on. It is either the motor brushes the shaft has broken or the sheath is worn out. All three are available and easy to install, anything beyond that and you should just buy a new one. If it doesn’t run it is probably the brushes and they are replaced by unscrewing the black plastic screw on the side. pull out the old one, slide in the new one and screw the plastic plug back in. The foot pedals also wear out. They are cheap. If you plug the motor in directly and it runs then it is the pedal. Get a new one. If the shaft is broken the motor will run but the handpiece doesn’t spin. There are videos to tell you how to replace it. I keep one on hand all the time. The outer sheath can break off at the hand piece. That one is pretty obvious.

2 Likes

Hello Marci, it is an easy item to repair. First, plug in the motor directly into an outlet, without the foot pedal, if that works than its the pedal that died. Other than that, it would most likely be the brushes that have to be changed. The inner shafts can break, but not too often. If its the foot pedal, then I would suggest getting a good quality one… like the LUCAS #9 Lowboy @ $49.00 plus $10.00 shipping to your location. You can order that item directly from LUCAS by contacting them at Lucadent@verizon.net … you can see the #9 Lowboy on the Lucas Website www.LucasDentalCompany.com Regards, Richard Lucas

1 Like

As suggested above the place to start is by checking the pedal,and replacing the brushes, a simple and inexpensive 3 minute job.
I go through a set of brushes in each of my Foredom flex shafts motors about once a year. The motor just stops.
If you turn it on, and a light tap on the flex shaft motor brings it “back to life” for a bit, then it is worn brushes. They are designed to wear.

You do not say where you are in Upstate NY. If you are near the Albany, NY area I would be glad to help you, but it is really a simple DIY service.

An EXCELLENT speed control!

1 Like

Contact Foredom. They helped me revive my 40+ year old EE last year…Rob

Hey there perfectly FLawed Artisan and ringdoctor, are you anywhere near Albany, NY/The Berkshires? If so, we are neighbors and maybe we could get together, even for a flexshaft renovation date.

I also recommend using a Lucas rheostat foot pedal. They are truly the best.

1 Like

Hello LaLinda I am close to Plattsburgh near the Canadian border your about 3 hours from me!!Nice to meet you neighbor!!

1 Like

Thank you I will do so!

Thank you I will take a look tomorrow if not I’ll call company Thank you!!

Thank you everyone for your insight!!

Not much can go really wrong with them but brushes do wear out. They are cheap. Just a screw driver is needed for that. If you want to take one out and compare it to a picture of a new one that should go see you a clue how looking it should be. There’s a spring that pushes it against the rotor. If it is that when you have them out blow some air in there over a garbage can.

Ah, I do remember Plattsburh.
This time of year Plattsburgh used to seem a long ways from almost anywhere.
I was through there a few years ago, and the entire area has evolved a great deal since I was a student there!

Andy Cooperman has an excellent video (Interweave Press) that gives good in depth information on how to maintain and repair your Foredom flexshaft. The Lucas Dental rheostats are amazing. Dealing with them is a rare pleasure.

1 Like

Thanks, Jennifer!

2 Likes

Ah well, PFA, we are neighbors in that we don’t live on opposite coasts. LOL
Linda Kaye-Moses
lindakm@berkshire.net

1 Like

Hi Marci,

One of our Foredom flex shafts just died in the studio here at Halstead. I looked on the Foredom website and through their videos, I learned how to repair and maintain them. They’re really easy to work on, Foredom has great customer service and you’d be amazed how simple it is to just do it yourself. I suggest getting on their site or calling them and explaining what happened to your flex shaft and they’ll walk you through repairs or direct you to a video to watch.

Erica

1 Like

"Hey there perfectly FLawed Artisan and ringdoctor, are you anywhere near Albany, NY/The Berkshires? If so, we are neighbors and maybe we could get together, even for a flexshaft renovation date.

I also recommend using a Lucas rheostat foot pedal. They are truly the best."

Until last week I worked at retail stores in Albany, NY for well over 20 years.
I am currently relocating my full shop into our home in Schoharie County, and will shift to take on more trade work, especially laser work and more complicated setting work for various Albany regional jewelers.

2 1/2 hours from Albany I’m close to the Canadian border!! Thank you everyone for info I am going to look into videos ,still haven’t done it Ive been to busy playing w torch fired enamel fun stuff!!addicting! :purple_heart: