Flush cutting pliers for Stainless Steel wire

Hello everyone!

I am looking for flush cutting pliers to cut 12 and 14 guage Stainless Steel wire. Can anyone suggest good quality pliers that will work.
I know this wire is not FUN to cut.

Thanks

Lary

I have not cut stainless steel, but own a pair of Wiss Electronics and Filament Scissors that do a true by-pass flush cut on heavy gauge silver. They are for cutting the ‘legs’ of semiconductors.

Bicycle shops also have cutters for stainless cable that is a true flush cut. Chris Darway (Darway Designs) uses them and recommends them. You would need to check if they can handle something as large as you need.

Thank you Jean. I will contact them tomorrow and see what they have to say. Very much appreciated.

Lary

1 Like

Orchid Jewelry Forum Community for Jewelers and Metalsmiths”
Cc:
Discussion] [Ganoksin Orchid Jewelry Forum Community for Jewelers and
Metalsmiths]

Lary1047 [1]
March 15

Thank you Jean. I will contact them tomorrow and see what they have

to say. Very much appreciated.

Lary

I use sprue cutters from Otto Frei. They work on so many heavy gauge items

You might try veterinarian titanium pin cutters. I have bought just about every pair of sprue cutters out there and have recently broken another Bergeron. At over $100 these get expensive. I won’t risk them on white gold but even heavy yellow gold seems to eventually chip them. 12 gauge stainless will be really difficult to cut. You might also check with a boat supply store for what they are using.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie,
I was given a suggestion on a type of cutters and ordered them. I will have them early next week. If they work I will definitely let you know.

Thanks

Lary

I recently finished taking two workshops with Alison Antleman (“Where is the Clasp” and “Considering Clasps”). We used a specific tool to cut our stainless steel cable wire for our neckwear. It works great!! Got mine from Amazon: Muzata Steel Wire Cutter for both soft and hard steel cable or wire rope or spring wire+6Pcs 1/8" Cable Wire Ferrules,series CT1, $16.99 with Prime.

1 Like

Disc cutter.

Maybe one of these, starting bid is $9.99 (not my listing)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PIANO-WIRE-CUTTERS-THE-LS-STARRETT-CO-No-1-5-1-2-INCH-END-NIPPERS/384073035409?hash=item596c896e91:g:apEAAOSwzExgZc3x

Piano wire cutters are GREAT! I also use them for cutting sprues which saves lots of time.

Eileen

Go to your local bike shop and see what they have to cut cables.