Florentine Engraving

I need suggestions on how to apply criss-cross florentine engraving on a 1/2 round curved band. It seems my line engravers are too wide. Because of curve it makes it very hard to make the cross hatch lines straight. It should be so simple, but has become a task.

1 Like

O.K., I’m far from expert on this; first, a ball vise would really be helpful, even if you buy used. The wider, multi-line gravers have always been easier for me when covering a shank, etc., as you can overlap slightly to hold your pattern across the shank. Lay it out, make your first cut; overlap a line or two, and continue around as far as you wish. Repeat at the opposite angle. You’ll probably find that you use several sizes and shapes over the years. Maybe practice, a lot, on Sterling?

2 Likes

P1800S is right about using a coarser/ wider graver. Sooo much easier to line up. And yes an engraver’s ball can make all of the difference in the world. If you have a GRS set up they make a gimbaled ring clamp that is may be cheaper than buying a ball vise. If you are serious about making jewelry I’d highly suggest that you at some time invest the money and get not only the GRS system. They make a great ball vise. too. We use ours a lot.
That said…There are Florentine graver burs out there. I have arthritic hands so I use a graver burr when I need to texture.
They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. It takes practice to learn how to control them. So I’d suggest you practice on a piece of scrap that is domes like the ring you want to texture.

https://www.dedeco.com/browse/93/Florentine/

1 Like

Hadn’t considered Florentine burs. Great idea, especially with a ball vise, mine is a relatively inexpensive “off brand” , but has been quite satisfactory. I need to try that on some scrap. Thanks.