First filigree and I am HOOKED

Thanks! It’s funny you mention your book because I did buy it a couple days ago, but it hasn’t arrived yet. I’m definitely looking forward to it. So far all I’ve had to go off of are a few threads on here and a couple YouTube videos. Beyond that it’s just trial and error, and looking at finished pieces.

I’m just using sterling for these, the readymade stuff from Rio. I’ve also got a few different gauges of square sterling wire for frames depending on how high I want it in relation to the filler. It’s interesting how different the effect is just by changing that. Another idea I want to play with sometime is using a wider rectangular wire for the frame, and doing two layers of filler.

There is a lot going as you vary the relative sizes of frame and filler wire. I find myself looking at these differences probably more than I need to. I keep very detailed notes of what the size is of each element as I make a piece, but in the end it is the eye that measures the final product. I don’t recall if you can cast ingots and roll and draw wire. This makes a big difference in my willingness to experiment with different sized elements. I generally make the frame pieces out of square or rectangular sterling wire and the filler pieces are a mixture of sterling and fine depending on the size and how much they need to be manipulated. I try to make sure that all of the loops are closed and soldered. I do a fingernail test of each loop and soldered joint to make sure that they are actually soldered so that I am not left with little pointed pieces that might snag on cloth or skin. I think that I saw this on a Victoria Lansford video as a test of a student’s work. I regularly take a break from the heavy forged, twisted and fabricated bracelets that I make and sell to do some filigree pieces or small fine chased and repousse pieces. The two shop environments are very different. I have yet to develop a local market for my filigree, so I have a lot of it in stock. I like your work and hope that you are having fun with it. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

Hi Jeanne, I bought your book I think a year before I had my unscheduled flying lesson out the backdoor of a rental house with a garden hose. Not only do I collect all sorts of tools, I have books. My husband keeps telling me not to buy anymore, but I love books. I read and look at styles to get inspiration and see if there are new tricks and tips. You’re never too old to learn.

Maybe Shawna from MJSA should start a collection of what not to do. The more I read, The more I experiment, the more mistakes and boo-boo’s I do. I’m sure this forum could go wild with stories from the oops side.

Keep making lovely and informative books. You know you have a sale in me.

Aggie

Not yet on the ingots and pulling wire. I’ve taken over the dining room in our apartment and while I’ve put together a pretty decent collection of equipment, there are definitely some limitations of space, budget, and safety. We’re going to start looking for a new place soon and I dream of a basement or garage I can build out into my dream shop, but the Boston area rental market will probably have other ideas. Someday, though. Someday. And probably a lot sooner than it feels like now, given how fast the rest of this has happened. But that’s fine, I figure I still have tons to learn with readymade materials, and vendors like Rio have reasonable minimums that allow me to try a bit of everything until I settle on my own staples.

1 Like

I worked with what I could buy for years. It makes you think and plan before you light your torch. Look at the economy rolling mills. They are a good way to get into rolling. Draw plates are fairly inexpensive if you stick with round wire. We know Boston well. My wife’s family is from Maine, our younger son went to Tufts and our older son married a young woman from Carlisle. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

Hi Rob, I use a little thingy I was given that looks like this tool, https://www.delphiglass.com/enamels-paints/tools-supplies/line-sifter-for-enamels-1-32 I had to go look for it, but this is as close as it comes. I don’t use it to sift, but to put a small bit on the spot I want it to go to. I use a finger on the under side to control when it comes out. I started out with a piece of 6 gauge copper wire that I forged a spoon like shape on the end to use as a tiny spatula but It tended to put too much on the spots.
As for Victoria’s solder, I don’t use it. I still have most of a small container left. I had difficulties with it. There is a lady near Miami that makes powdered solder. The Miami lady doesn’t put flux in her solder. Victoria does have flux in her solder. Other people swear by Victoria’s solder. I use what works for me. We all try and develop methods in our work that is best for us. So take my comment about the powdered solder I prefer as one of personal preference.

2 Likes

I’ve got a policy of trying as many options as I can, and this legendary lady in Florida has been mentioned in several discussions. Might anyone be able to share her contact information? Is it like a speakeasy, do I need a password and someone to vouch for me? :laughing:

1 Like

Aggie…Thanks for your very thorough reply. I have found enamel sifters, I was just curious about the size of the mesh. You are correct that, by trial and error, we all find ways to do what we do that work for us. My method of soldering filigree seems to work for me, but I am always open to new ideas. I have tried to make my own powdered solder, but it just takes too long. I think that the woman’s name in Florida has shown up in other discussions and I may search for it. Thanks again…Rob

1 Like

Hi,

I have a jar of IT solder I bought from her several years ago. Not sure if this is up to date, but here’s the information on the jar:

Unique Solutions Inc.
10001 N. W. 50th Street, Suite 111
Sunrise, FL 33351
954-747-1919

She also used to have a website…

Just checked. Here it is: https://www.myuniquesolutions.com/

HTH

Tricia

2 Likes

This from a post by Aggie in 2013…

Beth Katz in So Florida (Unique Solutions)

2 Likes

Here is a source for powdered silver solder from a seller on Etsy. Haven’t used it myself but they sell 1 gram packages so it would be very economical to try it. Silver Powdered Solder for Filigree Hard 65% Melting Point - Etsy

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Yep that’s the lady. I could tell you anything about her except her name. When I’ve taught filigree some in my classes would do a group order. Glad silver spot market is coming down again. She can make any kind of powdered you want. If you have a specific recipe, she can make that as well. A very nice lady.

Aggie in sunny Florida where we are looking at Thursday getting down into the 40’s overnight.

1 Like