Favourite brand of saw blades

Just wondering what brand of saw blades you guys use for fine complicated piercing work?
Cheers Willie

1 Like

I am currently using Pike blades, mainly 3/0 for cutting pancake dies…Rob

2 Likes

James Miller, who we sadly lost this year, recommended Glardon Vallorbe blades. His work is/was exquisite.

With blades you definitely get what you pay for so never cheap out. I prefer a blade with a rounded back as they make tight corners easier.

If you do a search on James Miller Saw Blades you’ll find threads in the archives. Lots of lovely discussion and recommendations.

Pam

6 Likes

His work is amazing. He shows a heavily pieced egg that he did with one blade…Rob

4 Likes

My current favorite jeweler’s saw blades are Pepe Nano blades. These blades are made in Germany. I don’t know who the manufacturer actually is?

Jeff

3 Likes

Pierced not Pieced. Sorry…Rob

1 Like

Generally I use Rio’s Laser Gold saw blades, mostly for the ease of purchasing.

It is a quirk of mine that I have a much easier time following a scribed line with a very thin blade, so even though they are slower cutting I tend toward 6/0 and even 8/0 blades.

For rare very fine piercing I have used 10/0 blades which are as thin as a hair but surprisingly strong. I break more Rio 8/0 blades than Herkules 10/0 blades. Possibly I’m just more careful with the 10/0.

I sawed this detail as a component for a Hopi-style overlay belt buckle. The topknot stem is very thin. Amazingly I didn’t melt it when soldering onto the backing with the rest of the design:

Kokopelli

Knew Concepts is the only source for 10/0 blades that I know of, but they also sell Herkules blades in all the usual sizes, plus the large #9 as well as the tiny 10/0.

Neil A

7 Likes

Neil…Nice work, you have inspired me to try a finer blade. I have a Knew Concepts saw frame and have used it a lot. I needed a deeper frame for a project that I was working on and took out the Green Lion saw frame. I bought it, but never used it. It worked well and it is my go to right now…Rob

1 Like

Hi Pam yes I remembered that James Miller said he only used Glardon Vallorbe blades which gladdened my heart as I can actually get them here in Perth Western Australia!
I too like to use a very fine blade - 5/0, 8/0 is the finest I have - I have only just learned one can even get a 10/0 blade.
I have been reading a lot of reviews of the Nano blades from Pepe tools all extremely enthusiastic! Somebody on the forum was bemoaning the fact the Nano blades are not available in Australia. Gemtec.au stock them - so Google them!
Thanks every one for chiming in with your favourites and a Happy New Year to everyone. Cheers Willie

7 Likes

Neil,
I also use Herkules Saw Blades, been using them for over (25) years now, though I have also used Rio’s Laser Gold Saw Blades or I think that’s what they were called… My go-to Saw Blade is the 4/0, I use it for almost everything, though for thicker Sheet and Stock, they can Bind & Break if you’re not careful and don’t keep them Lubricated… I haven’t used the 8/0 or the 10/0 Saw Blades before, but after seeing your miniature Kokopelli, like Rob, you have inspired me to Order some and give them a try! Thank you!

I have also used the Gladron Vallorbe Blades before, 4/0’s as always, at at Jewellery Store that I helped out several years ago, they were very nice Saw Blades…

Though, I do have to admit, typically when I find a Product/Tool that I like and am pleased with, I usually stick with that Product/Tool for “Life”, only Ordering something different, when that Product/Tool is out of stock or no longer available… I guess it’s like the old saying goes, “it’s hard to teach an old dog, new tricks”, that being said, I am still Learning New Things, New Techniques and New Products/Tools all the time, so I guess I’m not too old just yet… :wink:
Jonathan

6 Likes

I was about to suggest this company, they did a video with tested’s Adam Savage, here’s the link, great concept.
They show the blades and explain some information about them.

6 Likes

@ danaleayoung, thank you for posting that!

Brian Meek was a frequent Orchid contributor years ago (as Alberic) before he took over Knew Concepts. It was great to see him.

Neil A

3 Likes

Hopefully he taught the mythbuster guy not to saw backwards as he started to do midway through the video. (!)
I never knew it was basically 2 companies that produce all the blades.

What I like about the nano blades is the clever packaging. It’s a cylindrical shaped holder that easily twists open. It helps me keep my blades organized and protected and. Easy to find the size I need.

3 Likes

In Vallorbe, Switzerland. I talked to a nice woman at Grobet right after they discontinued the Platinum blades (I snagged about 100 gross around that time, because I would die without them for sawing RT/pancake dies). The other company Glardon Vallorbe also makes great blades, but not quite as hard as the Platinums, so they aren’t as good for me. Lots and lots of brand names plastered onto just a few kinds of blade.

I just re read what I had said about Pepe Nano blades being available in Australia and the people who stock them are Gemcuts.com.au not Gemtec! Sorry about the misdirection to any Aussie jewellers!
Happy New Year everybody Willie

Ive noticed that quality varied over tje years.
Yellow label Dagger Saws were at onr time very good. I had many gross purchased years ago that served me well.

1 Like

I used YD for years sawing dies, before switching to Platinums.
YD are very good

Gemcuts has nice blades, not very expensive and they ship quickly. I have purchased some last year. No issues.

2 Likes