Favorite YouTube Jewelry Makers

Hey everyone!
Just curious if anyone is watching jewelry makers on YouTube.
I know of Bobby White, Diamond Mounter, and of course Andrew Berry. But I was wondering if there are any others out there you’ve seen that are maybe smaller or lesser known (or more known), as well as those that focus on education rather than “I’m going to keep my process secret, because…reasons” :rage:

Cheers!
Scott

2 Likes

Hi,

are you interested in a particular area of jewelry making?

try also adding these terms to your search string…

wax carving
fabrication
CAD
finishing
stone setting
engraving (stone setting, western, deep relief, metal inlay)
chasing/ repousse
metal forming
silversmithing
enameling
filigree
granulation
mixed metals
mokume gane
keum boo
soldering
micro tig welding
laser welding
cold connections
lapidary
stone inlay
resin
found object’s
art jewelry
electroforming
electroplating

you will also find that there are well known artists and instructirs in most of the above categories.

many teach in jewelry programs or hold workshops periodically

julie

1 Like

Hi,

for comprehensive jewelry training/ education i highly recomend

https://www.jewellerytrainingsolutions.com.au/

Peter Keep is an excellent instructor
you can check out his YouTube channel

Sohan Harrison is also a contributor, for some basic tutorials
he has a youtube channel as well

it is a paid subscription model
you can but individual videos, or by level of skill, or all access

in my opinion, the price is well worth it.

julie

4 Likes

I’m honestly not particularly picky as far as topics. I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years now, and have recently been on a crazy tear of watching woodworking channels. There are so many good ones, so I was curious if anyone had gone down the same YouTube rabbit hole with jewelry creators.
I do have intentions of launching my own channel next year (for full disclosure), so I really just wanted to know if there was anyone out there outside of whom I already follow.
To be perfectly honest, I absolutely abhor the whole “I’ll give you a preview, but if you pay you get the whole thing” mentality. I genuinely feel that if you present yourself well and show that people can rely on your knowledge, then they’ll be all the more willing to compensate you. I’d say that’s the biggest thing I’ve learned from woodworking channels. I feel us jewelers are a bit behind the times on that :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hi,
haha, i watch woodworking channels too! i went down that rabbit hole…it started with making hammer handles…and also veered off to homesteading!

tools…tractors…axes…i’m there!

btw. the website i listed is more of an online training program, where you are paying for that…like taking classes or workshops…but it is an online, repeat access, learn at your own place kinda thing…when i found it i was very happy to pay for the instruction…it is more like a school…

https://www.jewellerytrainingsolutions.com.au/

i think people do previews to help people see what they might be buying…get a feel for it before buying…

photigy is another great channel, although they launchdd a website, that is paid subscription based…i think when they did that they posted less on youtube…great instructor, great guest instructors…and the guests often have their own channels and sites…

happy hunting

julie

1 Like

I’ve learned nearly everything I know from YouTube (and trial & error).
The first one I found, when I started, was Nancy LT Hamilton. The first thing I learned when I got a torch was fusing silver to copper, from her video, and six years later it’s still one of my bestselling things. And she’s fun and utterly unpretentious.

• I second Soham Harrison for basics, also John Hartman and Greg Greenwood.
  • The Online Jewelry Academy has taught me a few things (also very basic).
  • Jeanette Caines, Jewelry Arts
  • Andrew Berry
  • Estona Metalsmithing (from the Netherlands)
    There are others I enjoy, can’t remember all of them.
5 Likes

Also, Nancy Hamilton, she also visits this site. :blush:

3 Likes

Really appreciate all the replies!
I’ll definitely check out those that have been recommended. Like I said, I’ve been doing this for nearly 20 years, and am always hunting for new/old ways of doing things. At my 9-5 we mostly do 3d printing and casting (I did start a thread on here to answer any questions related to 3d printing jewelry), but my passion is old-school fabrication, and hunting for potentially lost techniques. That’s why I named my own business ‘Aurum Arcanum’. The idea is that I can travel through history and uncover the mysteries of precious metals that have been lost through time (also, if anyone can recommend really old literature on metalsmithing, precious or otherwise, that would be great too, but that’s probably a topic that deserves its own thread)

As far as things behind a paywall, I’ve spent my entire career annoyed by it. The actual craft of jewelry making is becoming a lost skill, being replaced by 3d designers and printers. The skills required for fabrication of precious metals are quickly dying, and I want to fight to my last breath to prevent that. The problem is that traditionally, jewelers would keep their skills secret, and not even share 100% of what they knew with their apprentices. So inevitably each time a goldsmith died, a small chunk of that historical knowledge was lost forever. I’m all about the free flow of information, and I think it REALLY applies to a trade like ours. We need more traditional metalsmiths, and I think skills hidden behind paywalls greatly impede that (heck I’ve paid for some of the videos offered on this site, and it’ll be $25 for a video that just shows you how to glue sandpaper to cardboard to put on a polishing machine…that’s rather absurd to be honest).

Ok rant over!
Thanks again for the recommendations!
Cheers!
Scott

3 Likes

A favorite of mine is “SilverMeister.” He is a Korean artist and his work is interesting and beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/@SilverMeister

3 Likes

Stardust Mine: https://www.youtube.com/@TheArtOfMetalsmithing/videos
Lucy Walker Jewelry: https://www.youtube.com/@LucyWalkerJewellery
If you understand Spanish: https://www.youtube.com/@Borisjoyeroartifice/videos
GoMeowCreations. https://www.youtube.com/@GomeowCreations/videos
Lion Punch Forge LPF: https://www.youtube.com/@LionPunchForgeLPF

1 Like

Hi,

last thought…i forgot to mention…the website i mentioned above has a comprehensive stone setting curriculum for anyone interested in stone setting…i found it helpful

julie

A few more I don’t think were mentioned yet:

Whats on Pauls Bench
Victoria Lansford
Jim Brandvik
Jewelry Making Tutorials by Hans Meevis
Melissa Muir

1 Like

Soham Harris is good and has many free videos

2 Likes

I would like to add Lucy Walker - very entertaining with excellent content.
Joanne Tinley - The Jewellers Bench. She is a trained teacher and knows how to impart knowledge.

3 Likes

Scott
I used to watch Tool Time Tuesday with Melissa Muir. Leslie Kail Villarreal is also a favorite.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Ellen Lyons
Ellen Lyons Jewelry Designs
Seattle & La Paz, Baja, BCS

1 Like

Such an incredible goal you have!
I’m going to search you on Instagram because I want to be in tune with everything you discover and share about the Metalsmiths history and lost art.
I too believe that we have to support and celebrate the few makers out there that actually create everything by hand, no 3d, no molds, one of a kind handmade jewellery! :muscle:
I’m actually putting together an exhibition with a collective of jewellers who will only present one of a kind handfrabricated jewels. I’ve kept my search quite local because of all the legal bureaucracy of the precious metals. So if anyone knows a jeweller who would fit this profile and it’s either in Portugal or Spain, please do let me know!
We have to preserve the craft from being lost, and theirs no better way than besides walking this path ourselves, helping others who are walking alongside us. :raised_hands:

1 Like

a couple channels that I love are,

• Nasr jewelers
    they have some absolute banger videos for repairs and he mostly fuses his joins so if thats something you’re keen on learning definitely check them out.

• bench jewelers television
    lots of videos teaching setting and general tips and tricks. there earliest videos are from 15 years ago so I’m sure it’ll keep you entertained for a while.

• CRM jewelers
    most of their channel is full of clipbait crap BUT they have done a few ASMR/Bobby White style videos with Gaston Rives (@gastonjewelrymiami on instagram). there quite detailed videos and rarely skip any of the stages in his process. they may not be teaching you or even explain what they are doing in a particular stage but even if you have even a pretty basic level of knowledge of ring fabrication, you can learn a lot about WHY they are doing certain things.

• the jewllers hub
    used to have some brilliant videos! really in depth and easy to follow but i can’t seem to find any trace of the channel anymore. included it just in case someone knows what happened to Terry or if he decides to reappear and activate his channel again. some of his quick tips and tricks clips are still up on their instagram/facebook pages.

I know people have mentioned it before but JEWELLERY TRAINING SOLUTIONS!!! great stuff on there and well worth forking out a little bit of cash for.

I know there is a few I’ve missed but if i remember them ill come back later and post em. hope that helps!

1 Like

I adore Susan Lenart. https://youtu.be/CSFiC6GAHUo?si=GFOsnMh7FaabHrWY

2 Likes

I am a bit biased but I like this channel. =)

2 Likes

Chad’s Silversmithing

1 Like