Favorite Luxi compound for polishing epoxy resin/chip inlay?

Does anyone have a favorite Luxi compound for polishing up epoxy resin, either by itself or as part of a crushed/chip stone inlay? I’m prepared to do some experimenting, but I’m wondering if anybody has already been through that process and come to any conclusions.

I use Alumilite epoxy casting resin on some of my pieces. It is a real chore to dye because a little dye goes a long way and replicating a color is almost impossible. I am sure that this would not be nearly the case if I made larger batches and also bothered to write down how much of each color dye I use. Most of the time the surface that you see is the surface that was exposed to air and it doesn’t need to be polished. I have experimented with pouring resin into a bezel and then grinding the resin and bezel to the same plane using my resin lapidary wheels. This way they aren’t exposed to a lot of heat. I have had some success polishing the resin and bezel together with Fabuluster, but it still isn’t a great polish. I have purchased a set of abrasive pads that go from 800 to 20,000 grit from Alumilite, but have yet to experiment with it. I haven’t found a lot on line about dye color combinations of polishing. There are a lot of resin impregnated wood turning videos and they don’t seem to have any problem polishing resin. After sanding with progressive grit wet/dry sanding paper, they appear to polish with various liquid and paste polishes like 3M, Turtle Wax and Maguiars. This is also on my list to research more. I like using resin in my price point pieces as it goes together quickly. You do need to let it sit and cure. I have also used polyester resin to make models of impressions in clay that can then be used to cast a piece in metal using Delft clay, lots of fun…Rob

Pantyhose. The acrylic (or whatever is in the weave) is just the right texture without being too abrasive.

1 Like