Ive been working on my own vacuum casting machine, building it up
from parts I can pick up at a decent price. Went to do a final test
run on it today and man did it work great. A little Crest Vacuum pump
I picked up on Ebay a while back for 26 dollars plus shipping sucks !
Anyway, there was one thing I discovered today that I thought may be
handy for any vacuum casting people out here in Orchid land. The
large mat used when you vacuum casting plaster to get the air bubble
out that cost a small fortune from the tool supply house can be
replaced with a much cheaper, and more versatile pad.
Go to you home supply store, I went to Home Depot. Picked up a 4
foot long, 16inch wide roll of Shelf Cover Brand made by WEP
Enterprise Inc shelf liner for wire shelves. Its an Anti-Bacterial
foam so its really dense so the bugs cant get into it. After laying
getting it flat with some boards and a few heavy power tools, I put
it on the casting table, put on the vacuum bell and plugged in the
vacuum pump. This stuff works fantastic! It seals so well you cant
pull the bell off the table while its on, no matter how hard you pull
on it. And I had the table screwed down for the test as I had my
daughters with me today and I didnt want it knocked over and land on
them. I still have to finish the table, this was just a test on the
pump and the way I routed it in, and the matt.
The whole 4 foot length cost less than $10… Now I just need to find
a low cost vacuum gauge and I will have this puppy completed.