Hello fellow Orchidians
Awhile back I posted some on how to remove rust off of
It involved oven cleaner and a little ingenuity
I was lucky enough to be given a few files, from a neighbor, whose
mother used to be a jeweler. Of course I didn’t know what kind of
metal(s) she had used the files on, so I either had to clean them, or
not use them.
I did a little experiment, and it worked!!
What I did:
I took the files, put them in a stainless steel bowl, covered it
with foil, and slowly sprayed the oven cleaner while turning the bowl
around. The bowl was covered with foil, and I would lift the foil and
spray, rotate, lift, spray, etc.
After the files were covered with foam I paused and took a picture.
Then, with my gloves, I rotated the files around, made sure they
were coated all over and let them sit, covered, for about 10 minutes.
Then I ran warm water all over the files, cleaning them a bit with
Next I tried to make sure all the oven cleaner was cleaned off. At
this point I decided to spray them again with the oven cleaner.
This time I grabbed another bowl, a glass bowl, and I put the needle
files in there, and the other files back in the stainless steel bowl.
I then re-sprayed the files a second time and more gunk came off.
Not as much, but I’m glad I sprayed the second time.
I then cleaned them off, really well, with liquid soap, a LOT of
water and a green scrubby.
Next, I dried them off as quickly as possibly. I didn’t want them
rusting on me!
Next, I took each file, and totally saturated it from tip to tang in
a light oil - I did this to all of them - not just as I got to it -
so they were oiled as quickly as possibly.
I then scrubbed each file, adding more oil, as various unknown
matter was scrubbed off.
I scrubbed until nothing came off on my scrubby.
I’ve attached some pictures, and I apologize for the quality. I took
them with my BlackBerry, while actually cleaning the files with the
oven cleaner, scrubbing, oiling, etc.
A note on safety:
I was wearing a respirator, a leather apron, safety glasses and
rubber gloves that went all the way to my elbows.
I did this in my utility room, with the window wide open.
I would recommend doing this outside.
I would certainly say this was a success for me!
I have to say this was a very dangerous experiment. We use dangerous
chemicals and other tools on a daily basis. PLEASE be very careful
if you try this.