When I introduced the waffle die last time, I didn’t quite get around
to covering my etching nightmare. After many ups and downs with laser
printed iron-on masks, I was ready to give up the whole project
because I had already spent a lot of time and money on something I
wasn’t sure would work anyway. I was only willing to continue if I
found an easy solution to the masking peeling off with the paper it
was printed on , or another easy surefire masking method. So I started
to look at the Orchid archives…and thought impatiently “Dang!,
this could take…minutes!!. TOO SLOW. (I really -had- run out of
patience. Then I thought that printing onto glossy paper might lessen
the laser toner’s ability to sink into the paper, making the paper
easier to remove. It worked , when I ironed the bejeezis out of it . I
used a 1/8” aluminum uderplate and preheated it and the 1.5"x2" x1/16"
steel (etch )plate , then ironed the print on for 2.5 min. on high and
let things cool off slowly to room temp. Then for etching I soaked
the plate in water to soften the paper and carefully peeled and rubbed
it off with my thumb. Next, into the nitric acid , a varying mix ,
adjusted with more acid a few times when things were moving too slow.
Some leftover paper bits and insufficient agitation caused some
unevenness in the etch but no problemo for this job.
The pancake die and waffle components are heat treating now, and I’ll
have some shots over on the hydraulic die forming forum in a week or
two. Till then, think waffle iron mating with pancake die.
Dar “Moreau” Shelton