Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Enameling Trivets

Can kiln used enameling trivets be made of plain steel sheet ?
I know they are usually made of stainless steel - but of course I have on hand plain steel sheet and need a specially shaped trivet .

Thanks,
Patty

I have some older ones that are plain steel. They create a patina and require that you file a new surface to the part that will touch your work to prevent contamination. You can always try and see if it works with the steel you have on a piece of scrap.

Yes, stainless is the best BUT in a pinch other metals can do.
I have make some from tin cans in an emergency. Thick ones without the plastic inside.

Sharron in beachside Puerto Vallarta, mexico

Thanks - I tired rigging something up with SS wire , with less than good results. So I guess I need to stop being cheap and order some 4 prong trivets ! sigh …
Thanks for the input.
Patty

Yes, I have made custom enameling trivets from thin steel sheet that I cut with bench shears. I also have a titanium one that I bought, but have found that titanium is softer–a titanium wire contraption I created sagged, dumping the hanging enameled piece onto the mica beneath. Fortunately it was only a test piece, and I went back to using steel. You can also shape steel binding wire, coiled or twisted. HTH,
Makena

Thanks Makena - I guess I should give it a try after all (white I’m waiting for my SS sheet to arrive anyway !)

Patty

@liveoak, nichrome wire works for high heat situations like rigging holders for enameling purposes.