Enameling on 18k green gold

Hi folks,
I am enameling a ring that is 18k green gold. This is a cast piece that will be soldered (with hard solder) to a ring shank. Once the ring is assembled I will be enameling. My casting is 750 gold and the alloy mix is 38% copper, 60% silver, and 2% zinc. I will be using transparent warm colors of enamel.
1- should I depletion gilding the Metal? What is the best chemical?
Sulphuric acid or nitric acid?
2- if so…use unleaded enamel?
3- any other helpful tips?

Hi Beth,
I’m a metallurgist and don’t have much knowledge about enameling, so I won’t be able to answer the questions in your post.
Unfortunately, the alloy you have chosen when melted with fine gold will result in a 18K gold that will have standard yellow color. Only zinc is at the proper amount to help with enameling. You should consider an alloy mix (what is also known as master alloy) that has about 5% copper, 93% silver and 2% zinc that would give you a fairly rich 18K green gold.
Shan

1 Like

Thanks. Is the zinc necessary for a nice casting? I think it is not good when enameling. My casting looks yellow so your response is helpful.
I am curious (now that I have researched, I heat there is a green “enamel” gold that I should have asked for. I’m not sure of the composition.

Enamel gold, which is 18K and can be greenish, has no zinc in the alloy.

1 Like

Is the zinc necessary for a nice casting?
Yes, presence of zinc prevents copper from oxidizing and results in somewhat smoother casting surfaces.
I think it is not good when enameling
Yes, zinc could vaporize at the temperatures used during vitreous enameling and create bubbles under the enamel. I believe, 2% zinc in the master alloy (or 0.5% in 18K) is a nice compromise to get sound casting and not have problems during enameling.

Thanks! This is helpful!

Does the green gold actually show up enough to matter? Seems like a lot of hassle for this project when you know 18kyg will present the least problem.

You are so right Barbara! My customer wanted green gold. I had also read that green gold plays well with enamel. I am not sure whether green or yellow make a huge difference. I have learned a lot about the process in the meantime. In order to enamel on gold it has to be depletion gilded first. Then a flux…on gold Bovano (Soyer )#2 flux is what is used. Enamel Art Supply has some although it’s not on their web page. If you send an email and request it, it is available. I won’t have time to finish the ring until next week but I’m hoping to post a photo with good results!

The difference between “green” gold and yellow gold is that it has more silver in the alloy, plus maybe some other metals, not an expert in that. If you want a red gold, that means more copper, which will make it harder and more brittle (the copper). Someone posted an alloy spreadsheet a while back listing the metals in various alloys–search for it in the archives. HTH!

I am disappointed my caster did not give me exactly what I asked for -18k green gold. My ring is more yellow and when I called to ask what alloys they used I found out it was more of a yellow mix. At that point my customer was more anxious about getting the ring than the color.

If you saw the error initially, I would have discussed HIS error. Agree on paying for his gold, but not his casting labour. I’d let him know that your customer is angry.;(
I’d look for a new caster. I’m sure that there are many more in our ‘very tightly knit group’.;(

gerrysdiamondsettingessays.blogspot.com

Gerry, on my iPhone

I agree with you. My customer chose to proceed.

@Bethdevitry , I was looking for the same answer re. Green Gold. I’ve heard, that Green Gold is good for enameling, as it doesn’t contain copper, but these are only rumors. However, I am confused with your original question. You are saying that your alloy “38% copper, 60% silver, and 2% zinc.” . Where is gold in this alloy?

Hi Nina,
I’ll be the first to admit, it’s confusing. The percentages in previous comments are (for 18k green gold) 75% pure gold mixed with alloys that make up the other 25%. The “25%” is the above mentioned ratios of silver, copper and zinc. I took an online class not long ago with Jamie Bennett. He doe beautiful enameling on 75% pure gold and 25% pure silver. I believe he is making the alloy and then milling it through his rolling mill. Then applying the enamel. This is worth a try in my opinion! I think if you want to cast something it gets trickier. That’s where these other formulas come into play. For my own purposes, I tend to focus on enameling on fine silver and then setting that piece in a gold setting. Another person that enamels on gold is Patsy Croft. I asked her a few questions and she was very helpful. Google her. Her website has my questions and her answers! Good Luck!
Beth

Most casting houses have an alloy they call enameling gold, which has little or no copper. It will be very close in color to that same caster’s green gold.