Enamel and Gold Luster

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums here. I have a question for any of you experienced with Enamel. I am just starting out, and am wondering if there is an enamel powder or some aftermath you can use to give you the effect of gold luster (a liquid glaze used on pottery)? I have seen gold foil on enamel, but it is not quite what I am looking for.

And if you have any suggestions on a good book on enameling. (I am using a kiln instead of a torch).

Thanks in advance!

My favorite enameling book is “The Art of Enameling” by Linda Darty.
A quick internet search regarding your specific question brings up this excerpt from her book:

The Art of Enameling: Techniques, Projects, Inspiration - Linda Darty - Google Books

You might also ask the folks at ThompsonEnamel.com

Another technique that might interest you is Raku.

Another book I like is “The Art of Fine Enameling” by Karen L. Cohen.

Thank you Betty! I put that book in my basket at Amazon, and now I have confirmation to go ahead and order it. I will check out the other book as well. Yes Raku is amazing, however I can only use a small kiln in my studio for enamel and not a larger one for pottery due to it’s fumes. I don’t have much ventilation (here in France), and the tiny kiln for enameling was labeled safe to use. Hopefully once I set up shop back in the US, I will be able to dip my toes into that!

I am writing an email to Thompson as soon as I finish typing this. Thanks again for your help!!!

1 Like

Ah I so love fine enameling. I wish I had the time to really master it
like Debbie Shezell and Marianne Hunter. I need three life times to master
all that I want to.
I have some bottles of liquid gold vitreous enamel paint from the 60s.
Amazing stuff. Glad you are using a kiln as you will want to use a kiln
rather than a torch with it. The temperature is very crucial. Thompson
carries it. It’s a bit expensive so it is used mostly for high lights
rather than covering an entire piece.
Have big fun with enamels.
Jo Haemer
www.timothywgreen.com

1 Like