Electric melting oven + Crucible blowout. Anyone tried the same?

Hey guys! The week havent been good to me so far!

Had an incident where I obviously have pushed my graphite crucible a bit too much… 23 castings… I think I dumped my quite large sprue buttom down in the crucible a bit to hard when I dumped in the silver and it broke off the buttom. Dident notice before everything was melted. Nevertheless i had to turn it upside down with molten metal, safe to say i had sweaty palms!

However got most of it out, hoever some of the metal i couldent get out… And now cooled down… Seems pretty stuck… The theromostate seem to be working fine… Bit clueless how to proceed…

Hi,

interesting issue.

what brand is your electric furnace?, crucible?
what company did you purchase it from?

perhaps you can call their technical support and ask for assistant there as well.

julie

Brand is Forno Elettrico - Italy! Bought from a Danish Jewelry retailer !
Crucible is from tiger Gmbh

Cant complain on any of the products. Been using them for two years now… Just my own fault i would assume being to rough on the crucible!

Spoke with my retailer, and will drive down with the machine tomorrow to take a look at it together!

However the silver is pretty good melted together with the ceramic inlay material, not sure how i will get it off! And i dont think that i would be a good idea having a puddle of molten silver in my melting oven floating around at the bottom every time i make a melt :3

Might need to order spare parts from italy i assume, however right now the delay in production is just a headache, hehe!

brgs

hi there,

good luck!

good to know about the crucibles needing care not breaking!

i wonder if they get “old” and have a recommended life expectancy?

julie

Hi,

I melt bronze at 1070C and use RioGrande’s 3KG graphite crucible in a custom electric furnace from Mellen. New crucibles weigh about 400 grams. Each of my casting sessions burns off about 10 grams. I discard the crucible when it’s weight is at 250 grams.

I get about 15 uses at the temperatures I use and the 2 hour time duration of my casting sessions. Silver melts at a lower temperature so you might get more use from your crucible.

I once ran a crucible down to 200 grams just to see what would happen. At that point I drilled the walls at the base of the crucible to measure the remaining thickness. It was very thin!

2 Likes